Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Yes, I will make one big change this hunting season...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Yes, I will make one big change this hunting season...

I will not overhunt a stand.
I admit, that's one area I can be stubborn.

I know my woods very well and have setup a few stand, including my self climber
that I use often.

I seem reluctant to move from an area I have seen/killed deer in past years.
Our deer population is not very high - maybe 10-12 deer/sq mile.
Also, I enter the woods in the dark and leave the woods when legal shooting is over before
making the 45 min walk back to the truck. I literally will stay 20 feet above the forest floor
day after day. That's 11-12 hours a day.

If I haven't seen deer after 1-2 days, my gut says my chances will increase the next day, etc.
That has proven true at times in the past, but it has also lead to frustration and disappointment.

A friend gave good advice. Use the 3-sit rule, where 1 sit = 1/2 day.

If I see no deer activity after3 sits, it's time to move.
I certainly understand hunting where the deer are and deer activity can be only a few hundred yards away.

Do you move often? Do you ever overhunt a standthat feels special?

Thanks in advance......Jimmy

Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yes, I will make one big change this hunting season...

i also find myself over hunting on occaisions. in most cases i am still seeing deer, just not the one i am particularly hunting. if i'm still seeing deer, i tell myself it's only a matter of time before the big guy makes a mistake. like you, sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Jimmy I know how that goes, I used to do the same thing. Its a hard habbit to break. But it can be done. I no longer hunt the same stand more than 2 days in a row.

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

I will not overhunt a stand.
I admit, that's one area I can be stubborn.

I know my woods very well and have setup a few stand, including my self climber
that I use often.

I seem reluctant to move from an area I have seen/killed deer in past years.
Also, I enter the woods in the dark and leave the woods when legal shooting is over before
making the 45 min walk back to the truck. I literally will stay 20 feet above the forest floor
day after day. That's 11-12 hours a day.

If I haven't seen deer after 1-2 days, my gut says my chances will increase the next day, etc.
That has proven true at times in the past, but it has also lead to frustration and disappointment.

A friend gave good advice. Use the 3-sit rule, where 1 sit = 1/2 day.

If I see no deer activity after3 sits, it's time to move.
I certainly understand hunting where the deer are and deer activity can be only a few hundred yards away.

Do you move often? Do you ever overhunt a standthat feels special?

Thanks in advance......Jimmy

Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much use the 3-4 sit theory (1/2-day per sit, as described).
I have multiple spots and set-up accordingly to score a deer, meaning one tree and try to hunt the wind properly.
Also, my stands are set-up, guesstimating, for either an AM spot or a PM spot.

This year the changes I will try and incorporate are based off of some interesting level of details that fellow HNI, GregH, has shared with me.
#1) I will still use the one stand theory for AM or PM spots, based on prevailing winds. However, I will have trees ready in the same spot for my climber, so I can capitalize on different wind situations as they arise.
#2) I am hunting thicker cover and setting up on the smaller trails, which may be to the "big" ones liking??...
#3) Paying more attention to my access trails and not touching anything on my way in or out.

* I have basically done these things in the past and have had success, especially the last 7-8 years, but trying to get to a consistant level of mature deer needs
to be a little more picky, in my eyes??!!!

** At the end of last season, through the winter (snow) and so far this pre-season, is the most amount of time I have spent researching and scouting as ever before.
Along with this being my 6th season in a few specific areas, I am hoping some experience and lady luck reigns superior for me!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I pretty much use the 3-4 sit theory (1/2-day per sit, as described).
I have multiple spots and set-up accordingly to score a deer, meaning one tree and try to hunt the wind properly.
Also, my stands are set-up, guesstimating, for either an AM spot or a PM spot.

This year the changes I will try and incorporate are based off of some interesting level of details that fellow HNI, GregH, has shared with me.
#1) I will still use the one stand theory for AM or PM spots, based on prevailing winds. However, I will have trees ready in the same spot for my climber, so I can capitalize on different wind situations as they arise.
#2) I am hunting thicker cover and setting up on the smaller trails, which may be to the "big" ones liking??...
#3) Paying more attention to my access trails and not touching anything on my way in or out.

* I have basically done these things in the past and have had success, especially the last 7-8 years, but trying to get to a consistant level of mature deer needs
to be a little more picky, in my eyes??!!!

** At the end of last season, through the winter (snow) and so far this pre-season, is the most amount of time I have spent researching and scouting as ever before.
Along with this being my 6th season in a few specific areas, I am hoping some experience and lady luck reigns superior for me!
Ed, good post and you posted a lot of the same things I will be doing different this year as well, our hunting tactics seem very similar. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do find myself over hunting stand sites as well. I think the biggest problem I have is getting in my "special" stand too early in the season. It has happened to me year after year. I say I am going to wait until the timing is right, but the I end up in the tree the first weekend of season, it is 90 degrees outside, I am sweating and stinking the place up. I force the point and hunt again and again, finally moving stand site when the time was right be in my "special" stand, but I done burned it up as well as burning myself out on it. I am going to try to correct this problem this year buy just staying out of the wood when the conditions are not right. If the temps are too high or if the wind is not right, I am just going to ignore my "special" stand. I may still get out when it is too hot to be out, but I am going to hunt areas that I can see a great amount and use that time mostly as scouting and if I am lucky enough to get a doe in front of me, then take her for the freezer. I agree this is a problem that most hunters have and it really does hurt us a lot more than we think it does.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Changes I will make this year:

1: Do not over hunt a stand as well. I find myself saying well this is the last place I saw deer so I will stay here.

2: Pay closer attention to the wind when picking stand locations. I have in the past picked stand locations almost soley on vantage point. Killed several deer but saw more deer in areas not down wind but couldn't shoot due to stand directon.

3: Pay closer attention to scent control. I always start the season great last year I had a yearling under my stand and never knew I was there but by the end of season I got lazy and had a doe pick me out at 75 yards.

4: Prepare plots ahead of season and make the area more hospitalbe to the wildlife. I got my lease last year a week before season so my first time out was opening day andI was forced to rely on normal deer movement and traffic.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT YEAR.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

Ed, good post and you posted a lot of the same things I will be doing different this year as well, our hunting tactics seem very similar. Thanks for sharing!!!
[/quote]

Well thank you kindly Mr. Curtis, YOU made my day!

~ Sometimes I'm a little hesitant on posting for various reasons.
The number 1 reason being, is I haven't shot any "huge bucks".

In fact I've blown the only 2 chances I've had in 26 years of Deer hunting. As everyone knows - NH is not known for the amount of big bucks we have, however there is certainly enough big/quality bucks in NH to keep me happy, I just have dig a little harder too find these big boogers.[8D] Ouch! Careful it might bleed if you dig too hard!

So I tend to sit back and educate myself with "most" of the people's experiences that grace these forum's pages.
I really have been getting a "tune-up" with specific posts in the last few months and I am very anxious for these reasons.

I enjoy your posts also - so keep up the good writing buddy
Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Not very high? I'm in one of the better IL counties...and I believe they say we have 4-6deer/sq.mi.

I think the highest counties in IL have maybe 10-13/sq.mi.

But as to overhunting a stand....I try not to hunt the same stand 2 days in a row, but if all signs point to one stand, I think you should be in it.

occasionally I'll be tired/lazy and goto the easy stand, but I still play the wind etc....

its just not worth it otherwise, why go out and see nothing. Its like that saying, if you're gonna do it, then do it,
Old 07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

Well thank you kindly Mr. Curtis, YOU made my day!

~ Sometimes I'm a little hesitant on posting for various reasons.
The number 1 reason being, is I haven't shot any "huge bucks".

In fact I've blown the only 2 chances I've had in 26 years of Deer hunting. As everyone knows - NH is not known for the amount of big bucks we have, however there is certainly enough big/quality bucks in NH to keep me happy, I just have dig a little harder too find these big boogers.[8D] Ouch! Careful it might bleed if you dig too hard!

So I tend to sit back and educate myself with "most" of the people's experiences that grace these forum's pages.
I really have been getting a "tune-up" with specific posts in the last few months and I am very anxious for these reasons.

I enjoy your posts also - so keep up the good writing buddy

[/quote]

Well Ed, I don't have any monsters either, however I haven't had the opportunity to hunt a region of Texas where the true monsters are, that costs way too much money these days. I have been blessed enough to take a few nice mature deer but not monsters by todays standards...I am Ok with that...I figure if I am taking a mature deer I am doing good in that area....However, I take my share of doe's, hogsand exotics too...I am not just a bone hunter but I sure do like the fact that they have it....

I have only been on this site for a few months but I find it to be a great place to learn and share experiences in the woods, I have also learned how different regions require different tactics (In general)....I too have been picking apart specific posts to find usefull information to "tune" my hunting as well, that is what makes this place a really quality site with minimal B.S.

Quick Reply: Yes, I will make one big change this hunting season...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.