Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

870 slug gun vs. H&R Slug gun

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 870 slug gun vs. H&R Slug gun

I can't imagine a better slug gun than my 870. It will stack slugs at 100 yards. How much better can they be. It shoots great and I have the backup shots just in case.

I considered the single shots but I ended up with a slug barrel for my shotgun so I stuck with it.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Default RE: 870 slug gun vs. H&R Slug gun

I have owned a USH deluxe in 12 ga, a mossberg 500 and have several friends with 870's, 1100's and 1187's with dedicated slug barrels. In my honest opinion my H&R was not vastly more accurate than any of these guns with a decent barrel and the right ammo. They could all shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards with the right ammo. The H&R uses a fairly slow twist rate similar to the 500 and 870 barrels so will give you fairly similar results with similar ammo. The key is finding a load these guns like. I would say most that have had an 870 or 500 with good cantilever barrel that didn't shoot as well just didn't spend enough time finding a load the gun liked.

The browning BPS has the advantage of being a bit better because it is for one a better built weapon but also has a faster twist rate which will help with the newer faster ammo ( I am talking 12 ga here).

The upsides for the H&R are cost and they have a better trigger for rifle type shooting than most shotguns do. And H&R will do a factory trigger job pretty cheap or a good gunsmith can do one and the triggers are even better yet after that. And they handle recoil pretty well because of the weight of the gun.

The down side is they are heavy and are only single shot if that is a concern for you. This isn't a gun you want to lug around for long or take shots on moving game with.

And I agree with the others, if you get one get a 20 ga over the 12. They mimick most magnum inline muzzle loader specs. I honestly think an inline is a better weapon though and that is what I went back to.

Paul