Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I crazy or what? 1800 lease

Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am I crazy or what? 1800 lease

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I went in with some folks on a lease on the Eastern Shore of MD. I paid 1850 for it. 600 acres for 10 hunters. Afterwards, I am starting to think I am losing my mind. Thats alot of cash. I can't believe things have gotten so out of control on these leases that they cost this much. If you asked me 10 years ago would I ever pay more than 500 dollars to hunt, I would have told you "no way". I paid that for a full moose hunt 10 years ago in Canada.

I just got tired of the state parks and little piece of land behind my house.
That adds up to $30.83 per acre. Thatis rediculous. Around my area, leases go for about $4 to $6 per acre, and there is some really great deer hunting here. If you think it's worth it, then you are not losing your mind. If you don't see any deer this year, then you lost your mind.
WOW, superstrutter..... you can tell that folks obviously don't want to hunt your area very badly! You wouldn't dream of finding a decent spot in my region for even the $30 per acre. Times of cheapor freehunting is over, unfortunatly we all have to pay to play now.
Actually, the area I hunt is one of the best in north LA. Lots and lots of hunters hunt in north central LA. We have a whole bunch of deer down here. There a lots of turkeys in this part of the state also.The leases may be a lot cheaper than you are accustomed to, but the hunting is excellent. You guys up north are getting price gouged to the max. I feel for ya!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

That price per acre will choke a horse. The bigger part of it is having 10 people on a lease that size. It depends on how hard everybody else hunts. If there are some that hunt several times a week, like every day, I wouldn't be interested. I'm in one lease with 4 total members on 1400 acres for $2,000 per member, and I think I am going to be able to get another 600 acre lease for myself and one more guy also.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds really high to me. If I were paying that much I would want to be sure there was a large herd with some big bucks. If I came back empty on a deal where I dropped $2k, I would be more than ticked. [:@]
Old 07-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

The going rate in my area is $12-$14 an acre. With that $18,500 you could put a down payment on a parcel and make monthly payments of a few hundred dollars to call it your own!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:54 PM

THATS NUTS!!!!! 600 acres and 10 guys!!!!!!!! Thats WAY TO MANY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! I have 600 acres and 3 guys is all I put on it and we are in TEXAS and have GREAT DEER!!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
bigcountry

Goodness, guys, I have killed a dozens upon dozens of deer on public land with more people than 10 on 600 acres. A few in the 125" range. And these public land properties usually have 30 hunters/week during rut for like 300 acres.

Listen, I would love to live in a place where its not so competitive, but this is the way it is.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

I can currently get a lease in oklahoma for about $5/acre, and i feel like that is expensive![&:]
Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that cheaper leasing in the South is due in part to all the land owned by timber companies. Land is much more likely to be privately held in much smaller tracts in the north.Also, I would imagine that any lease land is gonna be a lot more expensive if it is in close proximity to a very large urban area.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

wish i could afford a lease
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I hate to see how hunting has become all about the money in many areas. It makes it that much harder to bring new individuals into our sport when the price is out of reach of the average Joe. We are lucky to have such a large amount of public ground here in Idaho, but I have watched over the last few years as farmers and ranchers have leased their properties to out of area hunters with deep pockets, and locked out the local guy who has hunted the ground for generations. I don't blame the landowners, they have taxes to pay, and if they can make some money from their ground that's the American way. Hunting though used to be about filling the freezer, and having a good time with good friends, now it has in many cases turned into paying for that trophy buck in order to have bragging rights and a mount for the wall. I hope we can find an even ground so that the general public can continue to hunt public game animals. For those of you who have too lease ground in order to hunt, I feel for you, and hope you will continue to be able to afford the ever increasing cost of our sport.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy or what? 1800 lease

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.