Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rubs indicate size of deer

Old 03-01-2003, 09:10 PM

Default rubs indicate size of deer

Each year I always look for the largest rub to hunt the larger deer. Is it true larger the rub larger the deer?
Old 03-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rubs indicate size of deer

If I come across a rub in the bush and its raked raw as high as I am and its on a 4-6 inch tree, hmmmmmmmmmm.... yes that is a nice one, but if you happen upon a small rub, this does not necessary mean that it is a small buck...
Old 03-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

The size of the rub does not necessarily indicate the size of a deer. Sometimes a large deer will make a small rub and vece-versa. The only way to know for sure is to see the deer making it or maybe see large tracks under the tree.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:49 PM

i heard somewhere that somtimes you can tell by how high up the tree the rubs are. Im not sure if this is true or not though.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I believe you can get a gauge by a rub. I look at size, reach(height), rap around(see if he is getting on the sides as well as the face), gouges and a pronounced rubline. The most important one is the pronounced rubline. I want to make sure he is routinely coming through the area to hit his rubs. Once I have found his rubline I look at the all other factors. Such as: height, quality, loaction, where he is going and coming from, etc.

Theories abound on this subject, but the 100% way is to catch him on film or by eye. That is why game cameras are so hot.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

A big rub I wouldn' t necessarily hunt, but a big fresh rub with scrapes makes my mouth water.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 AM

I think generally the bigger the tree and bigger the rub, the bigger the deer, but its not always the case as seen with the pic posted earlier this week on the mb.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, to some extent I think it does. I have never seen a small buck rub a large tree though I have seen several large bucks rub some small ones.

If that helps any...
Old 03-04-2003, 08:50 AM

I agree with Skeeter 7mm for the most part if the rub were higher etc... then that might tell somewhat about the deer. I would not use the rub as a fact that the deer is bigger though. I' ve seen some 4 pointers rub the crap out of a tree you would of thought a 12 point had been there. Depending on how many other deer are around, and on how pumped up they are is how big there rub will be.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any buck, big or small, can make any rub, big or small. If you find a huge rub, was it made by a spike there often and for long periods of time, or a really big, brute 12 pointer just doin his thing? If you find a small rub, was it a smaller buck there for 15 minutes, or a really big, brute 12 pointer there for 2 minutes.

As mature deer don' t have alot of height difference, the height of a rub isn' t a good factor to figure with either. Know what I mean? There aren' t deer who are suited for say basketball, and others who are canidates for dwarf tossing.

There is no way to really tell!

If you really want to know the size (not necessarily points) of the deer who is rubbing these trees - find a track! Big deer have big tracks. Little deer have little tracks.

Uncle Matt (in Illinois)

Quick Reply: rubs indicate size of deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.