Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baitin n waitn

Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default baitin n waitn

whitetail diaries thread got me thinking. i am working on planning a bear hunt in fall of 09 and it will be a bait hunt of course. coming from pa it isnt legal to bait any big game or well any game actually i believe. put it this way i dont bait anything. IMO i dont think its right to its not really hunting but i do know people who have hunted texas and they said were they went that is the only way they deer hunt is over feeders because its so open and they can feed anywhere so the only way they do it is by feeders. i was like well i would never hunt deer over a feeder, so that got me thinking i go to maine for black bear what is the difference??? they cant say thats the only way to get a black bear i saw two gotten this past bear season here in pa and they didnt bait them and its also illegal here i pa. i dont feel the greatest about baiting in a black bear but meanwhile that is the only way they hunt black bear that or with adog. its not like i am the one setting up the bait pile.i would like some opinions on this if you would please. im sure those of you who are like me dont agree with baiting would you just not go on a black bear hunt were they are baited?? i know the bottom line is that if it bugs me enough i just dont go on the hunt so please dont tell me that i would like to know what some of your opinions are on this guestion.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: baitin n waitn

I hear ya, not a fan either....why I ended up doing a spot and stalk black bear....though they claim baitings the only way in those parts where its done....

I also don't like the idea of dogs......it might be one thing if i trained the pack.....but I didn't and to tree a cougar and shoot one out of a tree, doesn't sound like fun to me, I know hunters say its a hunt! kill ya trying to chase those dogs/cougar throught he mtns, but still don't enjoy the idea....

Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I hear ya, not a fan either....why I ended up doing a spot and stalk black bear....though they claim baitings the only way in those parts where its done....

I also don't like the idea of dogs......it might be one thing if i trained the pack.....but I didn't and to tree a cougar and shoot one out of a tree, doesn't sound like fun to me, I know hunters say its a hunt! kill ya trying to chase those dogs/cougar throught he mtns, but still don't enjoy the idea....

yea i have heard that to its a hunt! id call it workout and working outisnt usually fun for me either. i would love to kill a cougar and am hoping to kill a bear but it just doesnt sound like hunting. i guess if its all i would have known then it would be different.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know nothing about bear hunting, never been and never will.Judging from what I've seen on tvI'm not a fan of bear hunting at all, because every hunt I've ever seen involved a barrel of fish or barrels of something that the bears can't resist. About 6 or 7 huge bears come in and stick their head in the barrels while the hunters pick out the biggest one to kill. Again, this isn't hunting, it'slikea sicko luring a kidwith candy andkillin it. Or shopping for bears. If they say its the only way to hunt em, well then they need to find another way. I've seen a fewspot and stalk hunts on tv like salukipv said he went on, and I'd have to saythat would definitely take some "fortitude"! That's how they should be hunted! Also let me say, I know there are some places where the bear population needs to be keptin check, and I guess the easiest way is throughhunting over bait, so overall, I don't know what to think.Probably grounds for another forum, not deer hunting.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a personal/ethical problem with any kind of hunting, then simply just don't hunt in that maner. However, don't condemn others about their ways of legal hunting. Most of the time there is a problem with somebody's opinion of negative hunting opinions it is just that they were brought up hunting in one way and have always heard that some other ways of hunting were unethical or wrong.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

I know nothing about bear hunting, never been and never will.Judging from what I've seen on tvI'm not a fan of bear hunting at all, because every hunt I've ever seen involved a barrel of fish or barrels of something that the bears can't resist. About 6 or 7 huge bears come in and stick their head in the barrels while the hunters pick out the biggest one to kill. Again, this isn't hunting, it'slikea sicko luring a kidwith candy andkillin it. Or shopping for bears. If they say its the only way to hunt em, well then they need to find another way. I've seen a fewspot and stalk hunts on tv like salukipv said he went on, and I'd have to saythat would definitely take some "fortitude"! That's how they should be hunted! Also let me say, I know there are some places where the bear population needs to be keptin check, and I guess the easiest way is throughhunting over bait, so overall, I don't know what to think.Probably grounds for another forum, not deer hunting.
SS56, you might want to go try it and see how easy it is before you pass too much judgement! Just my opinion. I agrre with the last post no need to bash a legal form of hunting.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya Timber, and don't have much of a fuss with others baiting or using dogs.

Really wanted to hunt bear a few years back and spot n stalk certainly made the decision easier on where to go etc....

Considering trying to call for a mtn lion in the future, have read about it, certainly don't forsee it being easy either, though 1 nice thing is I think maybe get to call in some coyotes and bobcats. Personally calling in a mtn. lion I think would rank up there for biggest hunting personal accomplishments.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Some may not condone bear hunting with dogs or over baits because they believe it to be too easy. If this is the reason you dislike it, then obviously you have never trained and followed hounds through the mountains, or packed hundreds of pounds of bait into the hills, created a bait site, and had the patience to make it pay off. Neither are forms of hunting for the lazy man,the opposite is true, they require more physical work than almost any other form of hunting.
Inever have had my butt kicked in the mountains as badly as I have when trying to follow hounds. I can see if all you do is go into a bait prepared by someone else, or wait untill a guide trees a bear or cat and can just drive to the tree, but for the most part this isn't the case for the average DIY hunter. Do they give the hunter an advantage, yes, is it an unfair advantage, no more so than a cow call, rattling horns, or hunting a natural food or water source. Unless you are in an area with a population problem, bears can be tough to get at baits, they often know when you are there, and they often will only come in at night. Most hound hunters tree 20 bears for every one they take, and most chases do not end in a treed bear, they often escape. Some of the best hound hunters I know will go years without tagging a bear, they just enjoy the chase. So if a person thinks you can just throw out some bait and take your pick of a poor defenseless bear, or buy a hound and run every bear and cougar in the country up a tree, you are horribly off your mark. All this being said, Icurrently prefer spot and stalk, but maybe that is because I am too lazy, or lack time, to bait or train a good pack of hounds.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I hear ya Timber, and don't have much of a fuss with others baiting or using dogs.

Really wanted to hunt bear a few years back and spot n stalk certainly made the decision easier on where to go etc....

Considering trying to call for a mtn lion in the future, have read about it, certainly don't forsee it being easy either, though 1 nice thing is I think maybe get to call in some coyotes and bobcats. Personally calling in a mtn. lion I think would rank up there for biggest hunting personal accomplishments.
that would be something neat to see and do. i see a field journal in your future
Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: millagerobert

Some may not condone bear hunting with dogs or over baits because they believe it to be too easy. If this is the reason you dislike it, then obviously you have never trained and followed hounds through the mountains, or packed hundreds of pounds of bait into the hills, created a bait site, and had the patience to make it pay off. Neither are forms of hunting for the lazy man,the opposite is true, they require more physical work than almost any other form of hunting.
Inever have had my butt kicked in the mountains as badly as I have when trying to follow hounds. I can see if all you do is go into a bait prepared by someone else, or wait untill a guide trees a bear or cat and can just drive to the tree, but for the most part this isn't the case for the average DIY hunter. Do they give the hunter an advantage, yes, is it an unfair advantage, no more so than a cow call, rattling horns, or hunting a natural food or water source. Unless you are in an area with a population problem, bears can be tough to get at baits, they often know when you are there, and they often will only come in at night. Most hound hunters tree 20 bears for every one they take, and most chases do not end in a treed bear, they often escape. Some of the best hound hunters I know will go years without tagging a bear, they just enjoy the chase. So if a person thinks you can just throw out some bait and take your pick of a poor defenseless bear, or buy a hound and run every bear and cougar in the country up a tree, you are horribly off your mark. All this being said, Icurrently prefer spot and stalk, but maybe that is because I am too lazy, or lack time, to bait or train a good pack of hounds.

very well said and i thank you for commenting. i do help with food plots in upstate pa and it take alot of sweat equity. i know i am a hyprocrite food plot is like baiting in deer but it doesnt feel the same to me since i am walking into the stand to a bait pile that has been out for a month with all the leg work being done by the guide. thanks all for your thought and opinions.

Quick Reply: baitin n waitn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.