Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baitin n waitn

Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baitin n waitn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

If you have a personal/ethical problem with any kind of hunting, then simply just don't hunt in that maner. However, don't condemn others about their ways of legal hunting. Most of the time there is a problem with somebody's opinion of negative hunting opinions it is just that they were brought up hunting in one way and have always heard that some other ways of hunting were unethical or wrong.
I aint condemning anybody about their ways of hunting, I just don't agree with the bearhunting regulations. I don't care what you do down in Florida, or anybody else. I do, however, disagree with lawmakers. I'm not downing you sir, what you do does not affect me, nor will it ever. I was simply saying I would never support hunting bears over bait. I don't even hunt bears, don't want to, so I'm just gonna shut up or this will go on forever. Sorry I upset you about your ways of hunting. Good luck this year.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fair enough Strut. I guarantee I don't take it personal, I have just always get a little chapped when I read post where sombody has a problem with other people's legalhunting methods. By the way I do the majority of my hunting in Bama, always have, usually close to my hometown. I usually hunt food plots, but that is just a type of legal baiting IMHO.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I know it's legal hunting bears over bait, so how can I bash somebody doing it? Where do you hunt in Alabama? I'm in Randolph County. About food plots,I guess you could think ofthem as baiting, but there's a lot more time, money, and work involved in planting food plots than there is in filling a feeder, ya know. And I guess thats the point another guy was making about hauling tons of bait up a mountainside, that's a lot of work, and I shouldn't pass judgement about somebody's hunting tactics as long as they're legal. Although I do plant food plots every fall, I don't huntem much, too many does and I never seebucks until its too dark to tell how big they are. I plant em to keep deer on my property, food, and for friends to hunt over. I hunt mainly in hardwoods early in the morning and don't mess with afternoon hunts, but I move around to different stands asdifferent sign developsthroughout the season.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mainly around Troy, but also do some hunting south of Elba and I use to dog hunt near Clayton. If you look at the dictionary definition of baiting it is to lure or entice. IMHO that would not only cover using feeders, but also ag fields, sex attractants, food plots, mineral licks and other lures.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Timber! While I might not like everything thats legal, I support your right to do whatever is legal!
Guns, bows, caliber sizes, dogs, drives, food plots, baiting and even scents!
Most of the time we are opposed to one thing or another that we've never tried!
Sometimes it's a macho thing like "I'm a better hunter because I do it this way!"
Whatever the reason, remember whether we hunt for trophy or meat, the vast majority of us hunt for sport and recreation! Its not like a life or death need! There are enough anti's trying to outlaw all hunting, so we need to be supportive of all legal hunting. You don't "have" to hunt my way and I don't have to do it your way! But we all have the love of wildlife and hunting in common here,
so I'll always support legal hunting!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

I know nothing about bear hunting, never been and never will.Judging from what I've seen on tvI'm not a fan of bear hunting at all, because every hunt I've ever seen involved a barrel of fish or barrels of something that the bears can't resist. About 6 or 7 huge bears come in and stick their head in the barrels while the hunters pick out the biggest one to kill. Again, this isn't hunting, it'slikea sicko luring a kidwith candy andkillin it. Or shopping for bears. If they say its the only way to hunt em, well then they need to find another way. I've seen a fewspot and stalk hunts on tv like salukipv said he went on, and I'd have to saythat would definitely take some "fortitude"! That's how they should be hunted! Also let me say, I know there are some places where the bear population needs to be keptin check, and I guess the easiest way is throughhunting over bait, so overall, I don't know what to think.Probably grounds for another forum, not deer hunting.
Well its easy to see that your not to educated on bear. Thats alright though, I'll do my best to give you some good valuable info on why certain areas or states have to bait to get a bear.

I'll use my state for an example. I bear hunt in Northern Minnesota where you can't see 15 feet in front of your nose when your in the woods up there. Its that thick. I've been involved with bear hunting for 30+ years, been hunting them for 20 years this year. There is no other way possible for me to shoot a bear in a heavily wooded thick area without the use of bait. The only other way possible would be to sit in an oats or a corn field which there isn't many of up there in the swampy northern woods of Mn. The success rate on the average is 18% for bear hunters in Mn. This is over bait, its not that easy my friend! I guarantee you if baiting was illegal in Mn there would be more problems with problem bear then the Wardens could handle.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jag man, you're right bud. If it's legal, go for it.If it's legal to bait bears, do it. I can't pass judgement on anybody's hunting tactics. And Schultzy, itsobvious you are an experienced bear hunter and I am nowhere near your level as far as bear hunting goes, so I'mdone talking about bears ok everybody,lol. I'm outta my league on the bear conversation, shoulda never gotten into it since I've never done it. I was just speaking from what I've seen on tv. I deer hunt, dove hunt, squirrel hunt, and turkey hunt like a starvin indian, so I'll just stick to talkin about that and stay outta the bear hunting deal. I probably won't ever go on a bear hunt, so it aint got anything to do with me. SORRYTO ALL THE BEAR HUNTERS I OFFENDED! haha...... there, maybe I won't get bashed anymore. Kill all the bears you can so maybe they won't ever make it down here to me!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

baitin n waitn
I thought this thread was about catfishing.......... You're right guys. There's more ways than one to take a game animal and what works for one hunter may not be good for another but as long as hunters stay within the law for the area they're hunting there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

No offense taken Southern! It was obvious you didn't know a few things. Now you do right?! Look at it this way you learned a few things from this thread.[8D]

I see your big into deer hunting, dove hunting, squirrel and turkey hunting. Man you gotta love eating them squirrels, them are some tasty critters, some of the best in my opinion!! Them fox and grey squirrels here in Minnesota are huge, man they got some meat on them.

Have a good one SS!!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

I know nothing about bear hunting, never been and never will.Judging from what I've seen on tvI'm not a fan of bear hunting at all, because every hunt I've ever seen involved a barrel of fish or barrels of something that the bears can't resist. About 6 or 7 huge bears come in and stick their head in the barrels while the hunters pick out the biggest one to kill. Again, this isn't hunting, it'slikea sicko luring a kidwith candy andkillin it. Or shopping for bears. If they say its the only way to hunt em, well then they need to find another way. I've seen a fewspot and stalk hunts on tv like salukipv said he went on, and I'd have to saythat would definitely take some "fortitude"! That's how they should be hunted! Also let me say, I know there are some places where the bear population needs to be keptin check, and I guess the easiest way is throughhunting over bait, so overall, I don't know what to think.Probably grounds for another forum, not deer hunting.
Well its easy to see that your not to educated on bear. Thats alright though, I'll do my best to give you some good valuable info on why certain areas or states have to bait to get a bear.

I'll use my state for an example. I bear hunt in Northern Minnesota where you can't see 15 feet in front of your nose when your in the woods up there. Its that thick. I've been involved with bear hunting for 30+ years, been hunting them for 20 years this year. There is no other way possible for me to shoot a bear in a heavily wooded thick area without the use of bait. The only other way possible would be to sit in an oats or a corn field which there isn't many of up there in the swampy northern woods of Mn. The success rate on the average is 18% for bear hunters in Mn. This is over bait, its not that easy my friend! I guarantee you if baiting was illegal in Mn there would be more problems with problem bear then the Wardens could handle.
so perhaps this maine bear hunt might be a little harder then i thought lol

Quick Reply: baitin n waitn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.