Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock Scrapes

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mock Scrapes

I'm very dedicated to getting mock scrapes to work. Does anyone have any good advice?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 PM

Default RE: Mock Scrapes

Stay scent free!!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtech.tribute

Stay scent free!!
Biggest thing right there! Also use some quality scents. Scrape hunting has a small window of oppritunity in my opinion. Here in South Central Ill. its about 7-9 days. The last week of October and the first few days of Nov. Once the first does come in heat scrape hunting will be a waste of time. Give it your best shot. It's a new tactic for you and it makes it interesting.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found a pair of old waders I'm gonna use this year to stay scent free. Here in Nebraska though its hot when I start trying them so I try to get them done with little sweat as possible. I've tried alot of scents and drips and this year theres a scrape juice I'll try. I think it just another reason to be in the woods and try to see what produces.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I read a lot about this last year and never ended up doing anything. However, one article in paticluar talked about different products for making scrapes. The one product I really liked was called "Deer Dirt". It's a scented dirt that guarantees the scent for up to 30 days I believe. This allows you to attend to your scrape once and not have to spread your scent after the initial visit. The website for this is www.higginsoutdoors.com. Italked toDon Higgins before and he's a very nice guy and could really help you out with your scrapes. The site goes into a lot more detail, but it's an interesting product to say the least!

There was another product that wasa rubber boot cover. I can't remember thename of it, but it was a different type of rubber that hadno scent to it. If I can remember later or if someone else knows what I'mtalking about feel free to post!

Hope this helps!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 PM

One piece of advice I can give you....go to

www.kishelscents.com and email kevin, or call kevin...he would be more than happy to talk to you....he specializes in mock scrape kits....They work awesome...tell him Dave from Southern Ohio Outfitters sent you.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave! I'll give that a shot.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Mottz

I found a pair of old waders I'm gonna use this year to stay scent free. Here in Nebraska though its hot when I start trying them so I try to get them done with little sweat as possible. I've tried alot of scents and drips and this year theres a scrape juice I'll try. I think it just another reason to be in the woods and try to see what produces.
Just wear rubber boots that is what I wear to hunt in as well. You dont have to wear those wadders unless you just want too. I would invest in a pair to hunt in if possible. They really reduce your scent one the walk in and out.

I have also never luck with a mock scrape, like someone else said, a scrape is not often as good of a place to set up over anyway. I did try to make a few the past couple of years. I have several hunting dvds that gave diffrent ways to build them. I have however found natural scrapes and put out some doe urine and covered them up anhd find them cleaned back out a few days later.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

mock scrapes will only work in area's that hold deer. i set up mock scrapes last year and used my own urine (pissed in them) and had 3 bucks check it within 20 minutes of each other. here are the pic's...

the scrape you see in these pic's was made by me when i hung this cam. after making the scrape with my boot, i urintated in it to test this theory.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a firm believer in mock scrapes also, The big trick I use if you can find real scrape or better yet a licking branch and use rubber gloves but cut the licking branch or branch that is over a scrape and tie it above your mock scrape and it drives the other bucks in the area nuts because they think there is a new buck in the area. Walt

Quick Reply: Mock Scrapes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.