Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The biggest deer I never shot

Old 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default The biggest deer I never shot

I was about 12 years old and my cousin of 16 decided we were going deer hunting. He had a drivers license so we drove the 80 miles to one ofthe National Forest's in southeast Missouri. Of course we knew nothing about deer hunting so we asked our grandpa what we should do. He told us all that he knew and we were on our way.( grandpa never hunted deer)We each had on our Elmer Fudd black and red coats and hats that we borrowed fromour grandma.I hada pump shotgunthat was made in the early 30's and Joe had a Winchester model 12, both 20 gauges.We each had 2 slugs. Naturally we arrived around 10 am, we were reallyafter the early bird,and parked the car on the side of the road. After loading our guns, into the woods we went. Man was this deer hunting thing ever boring, we thought. As noon approached we became so hungry that our belliesbegan gnawing on our back bones. A decision was made to go get some lunch and return to finish out the day hunting. How did we know to take along some snacks? We weren't going eating we were going deer hunting!!![8D]
A 12 year old gets bored very easily and so I thought we'd throw our knives at some trees on the way out of the woods. All of a sudden here comes this animal just trotting through the woods. I said, hey Joe look at that cow! Joe turned and said, cow, crap that's a deer. Oh wow a real live deer!! He was only about 12 yardsaway and oblivious to us.
He took aim and fired his 2 slugs, a clean miss. Joe told me to shoot him, man were we experienced,Ishouldered my gun,pointedat the deer, followed him with my head, not the gun. I shot both of my shots in the same place, eyes as big as cantalopes, nearly inshock. My head was a foot higher than the stock of the gun. This deer was at least a 1000 pointer, (in the eyes of a 12 year old). Joe said he was an 8 or 10???? As we sat down to ponder what justoccurred, a little terrier dog came by chasing that danged deer. I guess the dogjumped that buck out of his bed.We laughed our butts off.
At any rate we both missed and lived to talk about it for years. It was our favorite story to tell anyonethat a hadears. I just thought I'd share this with ya'll as well.

It's amazing how far we have traveled since that cool fall day in 1961. What a great time that was.

Spudrow from Mo.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The biggest deer I never shot

funny story lol
Old 05-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same thing happen to me when I was twelve but I was by myself. My dad set me up behind our house (40ish acres), my blind was a 1965 chevy pickup with no motor. Dad raised the hood put me in and said he would be back right after dark. After a short while I was getting bored and might have kinda dozed off a little when I woke up there was a big buck standing like 20yds from the front of the truck, i raised the 243 and all i could see was hair so I pulled the trigger. The deer ran off about 80 yds and stopped and was looking around like WTH, and I got another bead on him and shot again but again he ran off, we looked for blood for a couple hours and never found any sign that the buck was hit. My dad bought this rifle used off a friend of his from work and when he got it home I shot it like twice @100 yds and put both real close to bullseye. The next year we were sighting in rifles for deer season and pulled that gun out and couldn't hit a 4X8 sheet of plywood @#100yds consistantly, we figured the barrell had been shot out and thats when I got my M77 270....Thats how I missed my first big buck....
Old 05-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

my story is way differant compared to your guys... first year of deer hunting (I was 9 at the time) I had my browning youth bow and I was sitting in my stand and my dad was in the tree next to me with the climber stand and at the time it was about10 degrees and I wasn't properly dressed, well as you know when you get cold you start to shiver. Well anyway, my dad wispers to me, theres a buck coming in about 50 yards aways, and sure enough the buck 50 yards away and closing in, well I got my bow up and the buck got 25 yards from me and I pull back.........................no arrow.................. Once I got about 3/4 pulled back the arrow slipped off and fell to the ground and scared the buck away. That's how I missed my first big buck.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AndrewAP

my story is way differant compared to your guys... first year of deer hunting (I was 9 at the time) I had my browning youth bow and I was sitting in my stand and my dad was in the tree next to me with the climber stand and at the time it was about10 degrees and I wasn't properly dressed, well as you know when you get cold you start to shiver. Well anyway, my dad wispers to me, theres a buck coming in about 50 yards aways, and sure enough the buck 50 yards away and closing in, well I got my bow up and the buck got 25 yards from me and I pull back.........................no arrow.................. Once I got about 3/4 pulled back the arrow slipped off and fell to the ground and scared the buck away. That's how I missed my first big buck.
Dude I wish my dad would have started me bowhunting, I didn't get started bowhunting till I was in my early 20's......I was never around bowhunting growing up but I promise you my7 year old daughter has been shooting for 2 years.....
Old 05-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was 17 and my 2nd season of deer hiking...
I had a 1977 F150 lifted, motor work, you know ~ LOUD!
So I asked my Dad to borrow his truck and went out hunting opening morning.
I figured I would walk in 1/2 hr. before legal and get settled in comfortably and wait for the big one. On the way to my stand, maybe 20 yards from the truck,
a huge christmas tree buck ran within 10 yards of me, looking, snorting and stomping it's hoof! I thought the big ole' buck was gonna charge me.[]
Unfortunately it was still 20 minutes until legal, so the gun was not loaded. Well I nearly soiled my shorts and tried grabbing a shell in case this mamoth buck charged.
15 seconds later when the bullet touched the metal of my .30-.30 Winchester, the buck remembered I was at the top of the food chain and gracefully trotted away.
Later that season it was tagged in @ 243lbs. 10 pointer with a 22" wide rack. Ah Crap!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy, you guys suck. I killed the first deer (doe) and first buck I ever shot at.
Spudrow, funny story. Those were the good old days.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The buck I was hunting during thelast week of ML and all 3 weeks of rifle season. He's a big bodied 6x6 with at least a 24 inch spread. From what I saw of him, his tines looked a litle shorter then the year before so I'm guessing he's an older buck starting his decline. Even though his rack is becomingsome what lesser, it will be one of my best hunts if I can finally out smart andharvest that wise old buck next fall.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oilpatchpride
Dude I wish my dad would have started me bowhunting, I didn't get started bowhunting till I was in my early 20's......I was never around bowhunting growing up but I promise you my7 year old daughter has been shooting for 2 years.....
Well it sorta happend like this....."Dad look at this cool bow in this magazine, I wanna bow hunt now."

next thing I knew I was sitting in a stand with my first youth bow.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This day was thesecond day of Buck season in PA and I was placed as a blocker on a deer drive. I was setup overlooking a valley that is maybe 100 yards wide behind a large oak tree.I was so excited. About 15 minutes after I was setup a buck comes out to the valley directly accross from me and heads up the valley, another buck comes out the same trail and heads down the valley and a third buck comes out and is heading straight for me. Well I'm watching the last buck that is heading straight for me and by now he is broadside about 10 yards to my left heading up my side of the valley. I have my Grandfather's 30-30 cocked and shouldered all lined up on the shoulder of this buck when I hear leaves rustling. I lower the gun and look around the large oak I was standing behind and I'm eye to eye with the buck that I thought headed down the valley. This buck bolts and I take a quick shot at it as it's running to my left and missed clean. To this day I don't know why I just didn't pull the trigger on the buck I had all lined up but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I've hunted many, many years since then but that day will always be remembered.