Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Gear Gift

Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 AM

Default Hunting Gear Gift

Help! I am looking to buy a gift for my boyfriends birthday and I would really like to surprise/impress him with something great that he can use during deer hunting season. I am finding that there isa lot of gear/eqiuipment available and I must say...I am lost!!

My boyfriend is the type of guy who pulls over to shine his headlights in a field just to search and see some deer...he loves them! He hunts with a riffle and bow. I know he has a tree stand and some hunting clothes. I am willing to spend up to 300 and I know there is something out there that all hunters need or want that he doesnt have! I can do some snooping if I have to get an accessory for something he already owns. any ideas?!?!?! I know he mentioned a blind recently but I wouldnt know if I need to get one to go with his tree stand or do I get one for the ground?? Would it be more beneficial for me to stop into a large hunting store...I'm affraid they wouldnt be as helpful...I'm hoping this forum is the place!! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...your talking to a girl who has no idea!!

asommer
Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Gear Gift

welcome to the forum. In the pop-up blinds, double bull are probably the best. I have an Ameristep bighouse. It is big enough for a standing bow shot, but is difficult to conceal. It cost about $175. The double bulls are more expensive, but I am not sure how much. Most hunters use more than one tree stand, unless they always use a climber. You might consider a laser rangefinder or binoculars. Bushnell and Nikon makes some nice optics for under $300.

www.natchezss.com or www.midwayusa.com usually has better prices than the chain stores.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would stick with buying the blind, guys can never have too many treestands/blinds. My wife bought mea ladderstandfor christmas last year and another for my birthday. As far as recommending a blind I am of no help there, I only hunt out of treestands
Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not like for anybody to buy me a hunting item. It's not that I don't appreciate it, but usually they either get something I already have, wouldn't use, or isn't the right type/model that I want. I had rather have a gift certificate to Cabela's or another sporting goods store to get what I want/need. A trip with him on a limited budget shopping spree to a Bass Pro Shop or other similar type store is another possibility that I had rather have.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gift certificate to hunting store.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am with a couple of other folks here in that my wants are very specific.It is extremely unlikely that someone would purchase a hunting item for me that would be what I cared to have.Obviously it is the thought that counts,perhaps an engraved hunting knife that is a personal gift along with a gift certificate or gift card to a large hunting equipment and clothing store.You can purchase a nice knife in the $40 to $50 range (think smaller folding knife)a hunter doesn't need an enormous knife,and then the balance of the gift could be the certificate or card.
Very thoughtful of you to be looking to do this.Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thermocell (bug control) withsome refills would be appreciated. A range finder is something he may not have. Just leave yourself with enough money to buy a new bikini in comoflauge. Even though it may be for you, it really is for him. What a great way to say, I support your hobby honey.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree with the gift certificate. Everyone has preferences for equipment they prefer and to get him something he won't use would be a waste.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:16 PM

I'm the same way timbercruiser, I can be real picky at times when buying hunting accessories. Same goes for tools.

But, if your boyfriend had mentioned a blind in the past, that's a good place to start. Most of us guys are dumb, but not that dumb, He probably said it for a reason.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Get him a gift certificate to cabelas you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: Hunting Gear Gift

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.