Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Permission gone bad....take a look

Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Permission gone bad....take a look

ORIGINAL: Tuco

Bad deal, but it is still your responsibility to make sure you are on the right property. Even if I get permission to hunt somewhere, I check my plat book to make sure of the boundries. Directions and map drawings by someone leaves to much room for error. I realize you meant no harm, but you really should have checked.
x2
Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go fight it in court and get your money back. As long as you still ahev the map. WCL
Old 05-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys,

Yes, ignorance of the LAW is no excuse. BUT, breaking a law that you know exists based on misleading information is a different issue. It would be like getting busted for tresspassing because somebody gives you a wrong address for a cookout and you wind up setting up your grill and ice chest in the wrong backyard. Again, its one of those deals where one would hope that the landowner and gamewarden would both use a little common sense. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Guys,

Yes, ignorance of the LAW is no excuse. BUT, breaking a law that you know exists based on misleading information is a different issue. It would be like getting busted for tresspassing because somebody gives you a wrong address for a cookout and you wind up setting up your grill and ice chest in the wrong backyard. Again, its one of those deals where one would hope that the landowner and gamewarden would both use a little common sense. 'Nuff said.
Unfortunately, there are some wardens who don't use common sense and will not give even the most law abiding hunter a break.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats why you rarely see such game wardens more than 50 feet from their vehicle, because they dont want to see it getting towed back to the station on four flat tires if they turn their back on it for more than a few minutes.[:@]
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that game wardens hear the excuse all the time of "I thought I was on the right land". Some of them are telling the truth, some of them aren't, but it will ultimately be up to the judge and I doubt many of the judgeswill go against the game warden's opinon.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its one thing to have someone offer the same old lame excuse without any supporting evidence or witnesses, but having the farmer testify that he drew the map would put a somewhat different spin on things.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he drew an incorrect map it would help, but how do you draw an incorrect map of your own land?, as the original poster stated. I have chased hunters off my property on two occasions. Both times they came up with the usual excuse, I didn't know I was across the boundary line. I'm sure wardens and landowners dohere this all the time. It won't stand up in court though. The hunter is responsiblefor knowing where he is. I did not prosecute the trespassers on my land. I just politely told them they don't need to come back. I was nice about it. I haven't had trouble since. It's not the game warden's job to prosecute anyway, it's the landowners. If this story is true, I don't know why the landowner would even prosecute, being that it was a total misunderstanding. Something is missing with this story. If everything the poster said is in fact true, then there should be no prosecution. If the landowner and warden work together to prosecute, thenthey are both asses.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Map or no map its still your responsiblity to know where you are and have permission. In CO you could have lost your gun, vehicle and freedom for trespassing.

An honest mistake is by definition still a mistake.

Quick Reply: Permission gone bad....take a look

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.