Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer have your stands patterned in 3days? what do you do?

Exactly, my ladder stand is up year round, and it's been in the same spot for longer than most of the deer in my area have been alive ( 5yrs ). They're none the wiser that its there intil I fart into the wind.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well .... Dr. Deer did not do that study here where I hunt in the SE USA! If deer truly had every stand "marked" within 3 days (heck, within a month), to be avoided .... I and my buddies would be a skunked dudes year after year. We have set many, many stands most of which never move and it seems to not be a big deal. I have had deer come into view and look straight at my set up .... but it was because I moved or made a noise or the wind shifted or they crossed my trail ... but not (in my opinion) because they had remembered where the stand was and decided to see if it was occupied or not. The best example I have of "known" deer frequenting past the same stand was a nearly 100% white doe that I'd wager over a 7 year period of time came within 10-15 yards of that same ladder stand 20-25 times. She and her troop never paid me any mind. I decided after I first saw her to pass forever just to have her to see, and to hopefully get an idea of deer range and movement on that place.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO they know they are there....DO they feel that they are harmful, not in my woods. I have one tree that there has been a tree stand in for over 10 years and I have taken several animals out of that tree. Our guys that gun hunt they have box stands that have been in the same place for years too, I have always assumed the deer just don't feel they are harmful after they have been there a while. When adding a permanent stand I have always put them up right after season and haven't had any issues (that I am aware of). I do have several light weight hang on's that I keep just in case I keep seeing one out of range or food sources move.....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I buy it but to a minimum degree. Sure they will know theres something new there, thats a given. But over time they will accept it. The key is to leave no trace of human contact in and out of your stand location.
Heres some tips:
Wear unscentedlatex/rubber gloves when hanging and taking down stands.
Wear high rubber boots in and out of your stand locations.
Spray down anything that can carry human odors (i.e. bow, arrows, quiver, stands, release).
Wearing a good scent containment suit helps drasticly.
Never use the same way in and out of your stand.
Hang the stands early. I hang/move my stands in late July-August. This allows the stand site to rest before season, and lets you knwo what you need to trim.
The main key is being scent consiece. (sp).

Old 05-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got two tripods, one box stand, a ladder stand, and many permanent lock-ons on my property and they haven't bothered my deer. I killed two 8 points and a 9 point out of one particular stand last season, so I don't think the stands, after they have been there for awhile, bother the deer at all. I agree with some of you saying that you if you put up a new stand, you need to do it well before season opens. I like to have all my work in the woods done by the end of July.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think some are misinterpeting this. The deer may (and likely do) know a stand is somewhere very soon after it is put up, but that doesnt mean they know what it is. Obviously, if deer could think cognatively like that not very many would get shot. I can be pretty sure they do not think "Thats were Joes stand is, now I will be sure to walk on the other side of the hill".....they are animals, ie instinctive not cognative.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Joe...I have killed many deer while on the combine or tractor and have ridden up on deer on the 4-wheeler...They can't understand that there is a human in that thing...Heck, I've even parked the combine and hunted out of the cab for the last hour of light or so....
Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 AM

I think the lower the stand height the greater the deers awareness of it. If your stand is above their comfort zone, I think they will rarely see it.