Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just hit a deer

Old 05-02-2008, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Just hit a deer

I hit one 2 years ago on my way to the hntn club. It didnt kill it it just broke both back legs. Luckily my friend had left his 7mag. inthe back seat. And just before i shot it some guy pulled up that was more redneck than me, and wanted to "take it off my hands". I said no, and the truck had scared the deer from the road. using just its front legs it crawled about 15 yards into the woods. I made the other guy hold the light and i finally got a clear shot. It was a clean shot, took out both lungs. I took it back to the club and we got what meat we could, but the rest was beat up. Oh! I was in my friends Izuzu Rodeo.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

7mm mag will do it especialy at 15 yards. It was dark and I had no gun. I basiacaly broke this one down like you did. I usualy have a good size knife with me so I stuck it in both lungs and it was done real quick. Like I said I would have taken the meat if I had the room for it. Guess the coyotes, foxes,and buzzards have to eat too.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Jason-sorry to hear you hit a deer but sometime it can't be helped,I've myself hit two but realy did no damage except to the linkage to the car came around a curve and there she was laying in the middle of the road went right ove the top of her BIG doe anyway went air born now you talk about a ride scared the s==== out of me buy the time i got the car under control.Had some guys in a truck behide me ask if i was okthen started laughing man i've never seen a car go airborn after hitting a deer .All i could think was me either then took a deep breath .
Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

well I got lucky her is a pic of the front of my jeep. Its lifted and pretty tall so the bumper took the hit and nocked him down and the tires rolled over his back half. I ended sticking my knife in both lungs (never cut ones throat and never will) to put it down for good. I've been known to stick an arrow in one that was hit. Had a police officer to tell me not to do that untill they arive...Guess I'll risk a ticket I won't let them suffer that long.

What size lift are you running and what tires are those? they kind look like tsl's.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i thought that u needed a carcas permit to take dead deer in ohio there was a guy i heard recently who got in trouble because he took dead bucks out of his feild when he was harvesting and mounted them
Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Nice Jeep Jason. How is it set up? I used to have one and sold it [:'(]wished I still had it.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

i thought that u needed a carcas permit to take dead deer in ohio there was a guy i heard recently who got in trouble because he took dead bucks out of his feild when he was harvesting and mounted them
You do need a permit (written my the police) to take one even of you hit it. If I had taken it I would have called the police and got the permit.

Corvette69,

Its a 1978 CJ5 Levi edition. Its the original body (no rust) It came from out west. The drivetrain is a 304 V8 and a 3 Speed. Spring over axel lift (about 5 inches) 33 inch mud tires. Nothing to fancy. Needs a steering box now because of the tires. Its also ryno lined inside and underneath.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

my sister's was with her friend hit a deer a few days ago. her friend is nervous around guns and loves animals (not the hunting type) hurt her car a little. broke the grill and a headlight. Unfortunately for her(my sister's friend) they watched a police officer put it down.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seif5034,

At least the police officer put it down and it didn't have to suffer any more.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:15 PM

I have never hit a deer and I hope I never do. That said, I just can't stand the idea of letting a whole bunch of free meat go to waste--even if that means giving it to the state and (hoping) they give it to the poor. Does anyone know the law in Washington state--could I just take it? I get the picture that when you hit a deer, you usually hit the hind quarter--which pretty much ruins that quarter and possibly the other. So that means you get the backstraps, the tenderloins (maybe)? You made a judgement call as to not having the space for the meat. Is there a % guess as to how much you lose of the gross weight?

Quick Reply: Just hit a deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.