Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your best defense against deer smelling you??

Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is your best defense against deer smelling you??

what everybody said was true, but you can't always have the wind in your dirrection. sometimes you have to set up in situations where fewer deer are down wind, this creates a problem where you have to get totally sent free. this last year was the first i have ever used sent lock clothing, it is some amazing stuff. on 6 ocasions i stood on the ground just feet away up wind and the deer couldn't smell me. granted they were all 120" and under and still don't have the nose of a mature deer. the clothing i use is "dream season, sent lock", i wash it regularly and i always keep a bottle of "dead down wind mouth spray." 70% of your odor comes from breating, if you spray your mouth every 30 min. you can get rid of that smell. finally i top it off with spraying my hair with fresh earth cover sent. all that together i had never had a deer smell me last year and i am a die hard believer in that for life.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck - I always tell myself: Deer can hear you, smell you, see you and sometimes - just know you're there.

A similar experience happened a few years back. I was 20 feet off the ground, motionless with the wind to my advantage as I saw movement to my left. I could see antlers but not the entire animal. I expected him to offer a good shot as I waited for his every movement. He stayed put and decided to turn back and slowly trott of in the direction he came. I was puzzzled and kept thinking what did I do wrong. Come to find out, a few moments later 4 coyotes came into view and quickly walked out of sight. That buck must have sensed a threat from the coyotes but he seemed to be totally unaware a hunter was watching his every move - just waiting.

One comment on using baking soda. Be sure to rinse your hunting clothes completely. Baking soda is designed to absorb odors, so I always make sure I have no residue left.I don't want any hunting clothes absorbing any undesirable odors.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree above but I also take my knife and scrpe a little pine bark off if I am near a pine tree and it has a great cover scent. I do not have control over the wind during gun season because we draw stands so I have to use cover scents from the store and from nature.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

all that together i had never had a deer smell me last year
The ones that scented you - and there where some - you never got to see.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Down wind and smoke
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get down-wind of them - they will smell you otherwise - no way to get around it!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

ORIGINAL: Remnard

Get above them
get downwind of them
shoot them before they have a chance to smell you.
Shower before going hunting and use scent killer
scent free soaps for body and hair
wash your clothes in scentless or hunting soap pay attention to gun bow etc also
never wear your hunting clothes boots etc, anywhere but in the woods
get dressed in hunting garb and put your boots on after you get to your hunting location (never drive your truck with them on!!!)
keep them in sealed tupperware bins or plastic bags to and from
my god, this is word for word what we do too!
x2
x3 pretty much
Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

I take a lot of the same precautions as most of you. And I wholeheartedly agree. The only way to prevent being smelled is to be downwind. No matter how good you do, most of the deer that get down wind will smell you. I also am starting to believe that depending on where you hunt, it may not matter that much. If you are in a woods surrounding a development area on the edge of town, the deer are more used to smelling people. Hell, they are going to be downwind of people walking the dogs, mowing the lawn, walking in the woods... every day. They seem somewhat less cautious. But they still don't seem to miss any movement, and want to keep a distance nonetheless.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM

all i can say is wind an movement i will stay far away as possable down wind an do not move if the wind is not right i don't hunt that spot i do use sent killer but no cover sents that can alarm deer also an most of all know the place you hunt an the foods in that place will offer in fall
Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

STEVEBNY, i appritiate your understanding of deer and sticking to the golden rule of staying down wind. i still try to keep to the down wind rule but i have seen too many instances of deer on the ground with me dirrectlydown wind from 10 feet to 40 yards that wouldn't even lift their nose to get a better sent, none of them had a clue that i was in their wind line. it is true that you can get nearly 99% sent locked and then cover sent the rest. try sent lock clothing for one season for yourself andi hope you willamazed at what can happen. i would much rather leave my bow behind than go into the woods without a showeror without my sent lock.

Quick Reply: What is your best defense against deer smelling you??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.