Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how many stands and food plots is enough?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how many stands and food plots is enough?

i have 17 stands on a 100 acres so i don't think there is limit, it all depends on the location and use. i have bow stands thick cover ground blinds that i tuck away deep inside the thick pine trees, and other set ups
Old 03-02-2008, 06:47 PM

i was thinking about planting red clover because it grows naturally and puna chicory because i have heard good things about it.... how does this sound? also is there a plot i can plant where is is hilly and only a small area?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

all depends on your land/layout, travel patterns, but ya 4 spots sounds fairly good,
Old 03-02-2008, 07:05 PM

i actually have 6 spots now possibly but at least 4
i was thinking about planting red clover because it grows naturally and puna chicory because i have heard good things about it.... how does this sound? also is there a plot i can plant where is is hilly and only a small area?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

One of the pieces I hunt is just shy of 80 acres with a variety of hills, creeks, fields, hardwoods, cedars, and bedding briars. I have two foodplots, one is 1/2 acre and one is 3 acres...well here is a picture of it. Each red dot is where I usually place a stand before the end of season. I have 4 portable ladder stands, 2 hanging stands, and 2 ground blinds, which mixes it up real good!

Its always better to have 3 seasons too! Bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM

that looks real good man
Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Mossberg,

Check this link out. http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/ They have everything you need, as well as advice on what, when, and how much. They have throw and grow stuff as well. I have just started mine this year as well. My largest plot includes a wide variety of clovers, chickory, alfalfa, etc. My smallest will only have chufa for the turkeys.

Its a good idea to know where on your land the deer are bedding and STAY AWAY from it. Plant your plots out in the open if you can...every managed piece needs a sanctuary for the deer to feel safe.

Im keeping a picture diary of the progress of mine, from beginning to end and will post when the seeds start to grow. Kepp us updated on yours as well. Best of luck!

Jeff
Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 PM

all right thanks
ok so red clover and some white clover grows on our land naturally in sparatic areas already. would it be a good idea to plant more of this? can i just plant it by throwing it out with fertilizer spreader?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Must be nice to have a tree to hang a stand on ! I hunt 230 acres that has been cut off twice since 1991. You talk about texas brush country, and I'm in South Carolina ! I hunt a tough piece of property, its thick as all get out, and wish I could find just one more darn tree that was big enough to put a stand on. Its thick, but they sure live there ! Good hunting ... SHOTARYE
Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 AM

As many as you can hunt and manage.

Quick Reply: how many stands and food plots is enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.