Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is it about antlers?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is it about antlers?

As I sit here admiring my bucks antlers from this year it got me thinking about what is is about them that is so .....well I don't know the words. But it seems most everyone that hunts is after them even if its not a big concern. By this I mean I love to hunt. If I don't get a buck its no big deal. Untill this year I'd never killed a big buck. I didn't worry to much about it but in the back of my mind I always want to kill a buck.

Sure you can't eat the antlers...(I know this and I heard a good reply for it to.) But you can sure stir the soup with them. LOL

So realy what is it about antlers that have such a draw? Or what is it foryou?

Probably for me its outsmarting one. But some of them does are smart too....
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is it about antlers?

It's perhaps the most pursued game animal in the world, surely because its very abundant and able to be hunted by more people than many other types of game. And most men measure themselves/success against others, and antler size is just a great system. Some people would say you can't eat antlers, some would also say, you can't eat the meat either! haha. I'm still learning how to prepare it. I've had elk taste amazing, yet to have venison taste as good as that elk. Perhaps some animals taste better than others? perhaps it takes time to acquire the taste. I am a beef guy, so I dunno, hopefully over time the taste will grow.

A mature doe will bust you before anythign else im convinced.....I know many other hunters agree, I think a doe is more likely to reach 6.5+ than a buck btw, therefore they've been around longer and know more. I think any mature deer is smarter than a younger, so a buck 5.5 or doe 5.5 is going to bust you before that 2.5yo buck or doe.

Back to antlers, does anyone like to be average? who seeks out avg in life?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM

For me its not so much killing a big buck, I love antlers for some reason, so finding a big shed antler is just as cool as killing a nice buck, except you cant make antler jerky I guess....
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mikemac10

For me its not so much killing a big buck, I love antlers for some reason, so finding a big shed antler is just as cool as killing a nice buck,
Thats my point... Although I've not found any sheds yet I love antlers. I found a couple at a yard sale one time for a couple bucks. I actually have them right here.They are just interesting tome. Everyone seems different.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

i like the antlers because every rack is different. it's like a picture that kick-starts the memory of the hunt for that buck...a feeling of accomplishment
Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its in are genes, most men areattracted to racks.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:08 PM

I guess I forgot that part....I like antlers because they are unique, you'll never find 2 that are identical, and the fact that they are carried around and used by such an awesome animal makes them cool. Plus, when you kill a big buck, or find an antler, you are the first person to ever touch them, kind of a unique connection with an animal that a lot of people dont understand. Hope that all makes sense.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mikemac10

Plus, when you kill a big buck, or find an antler, you are the first person to ever touch them, kind of a unique connection with an animal that a lot of people dont understand.
Very well said. I guess for me its just the rush you get when you see a buck. When I'm hunting and I see a buck my stomach jumps no matter how big it is. Now, when i scope them out and see he's just a youngster then my nerves calm a bit. But when I see a shooter buck walking through the woods I get a rush like none other.

Also, I like seeing the animal mature. I enjoy watching his maturation process and finding his sheds, gettin some pics of him whether it be trail cameras or still cameras or video cameras. Letting that buck live to reach its full potential is really awesome to see.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

When ever I kill a buck or find a shed, I think it is cool that when I pick up the antler, I am the first human to touch it. Also, as other has said, the fact that no two antlers are same is very cool.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

It goes alone with the male preocupation of size, the bigger the better right?? haha same thing with trucks, antlers, engines and...well anyway, thats why we like antlers...

Quick Reply: What is it about antlers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.