Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

clean skull?

Old 02-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: clean skull?

Ok then what should I do then?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

I turned these:

Into these:

How I did it:

1. Get a sink full of real hot water. I use dish soap too- kind of cuts down on the smell some.

2. Let the rack soak in it for about an hour.

(Like so...)

3. After the rack gets nice and soaked, take a heavy knife or screwdriver, start prying the hide off all the way across the front, all the way as far back as you can get.

4. Pry from the back as far to the front as you can. If it gets tough let it soak some more.

5. After the hide is lose from the front to the back, take a knife and cut out as much out of the middle as you can.

6. After you get the majority of the middle out start trying to get as close to the bases as you can.

7. From there just start cutting away, shouldn't take too long.

8. When you're done cutting, pour a crapload of salt on it, in ever crack you can get it into.On the top and inside of the skull and let it sit for a few hours. I usually use an old toothbrush and get all the salt out and then put salt on it again.

9. After I'm finished with the salt I usually take some real fine sandpaper and sand it to where it's real smooth.

Hope it helps, it's really not too hard. If it wasn't for soaking it so long I could probably have one cleaned in an hour or so.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you. I now have an idea. I love the visuals. Thats exactly what I need. A rack cleaned so I'll give this a try this weekend.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just boil them in water, but not too long, maybe 2 or 3 hours. Over cooking will cause the bones to soften and get gray and separate. Then I take it to the car wash. I have done this on many skulls. Be careful with the nose piece, but if you didn't over cook it should be all right. Then I usually hang it in a tree in the sun to dry. You might have a few small pieces of meat to pick out.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I dont have the full skull just the rack