Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Post-Harvest Celebrations

Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Post-Harvest Celebrations

I think we all get excited, otherwise we wouldn't go back.

The first thing I do is thank the deer for giving its life so I can extend mine, and offer it tobaccoas thanks (Native American Custom). Then I promise it I will try to live a good life, worthy of its gift, so it won't have died in vain. Then I'll get a little pumped up, but Itry to keep it respectful, and quiet for other hunters nearby.

I think any reaction a hunter has is fine, as long as its respectful and not proclaimingsome perceived dominance. I have no problem with people getting fired up and hootin and hollerin, as long as its not disrupting someone elses hunt.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

One of the things i don't get is when you see guys on tv, or in magizines or wherever posing with huge deer and they look like they are taking a mug shot, it always cracks me up a little. It's like buddy you just shot a great animal go ahead and smile, i dunno maybe it is a macho thing or something haha. Speaking of hootin' and hollerin' do any of you guys watch Ted Nugents show and see the way he goes nuts after the shot? Haha sometimes i think he is a little over the top but that's kind of his personality and its usually good natured.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start punching the air, yelling "THE BEAST IS DEAD, THE BEAST IS DEAD!"
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

gmil, I agree with you a 100%!! In just about every magazine they have a spread dedicated to members who send in their pictures, and it kills me when I see a guy with a huge buck looking like they wanna take the photographer. Come on man, God gave you those teeth flash em once in a while!I think you are right it is a macho thing. Saying "Look at me everyone, I'm a pretty tough dude" When in reality the deer beats you more times than you beat it sooooooooooo why not SMILE!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I get very exicted. I get the jitters specially when they run after the shot.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 PM

i get excited after wards. I like them good quick hunts when the animals come in unexpected or i get all bent out of shape. I get real excited after i kill something though. everyone that hunts with me just laughs because i get pretty worked up.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

I tend to get pretty excited. I usually will shoot and then text message a few people while I sit and give the animal time to die. Our code is BBD ! Big Buck Down........I get excited when little bucks step out, that why I hunt. I think I get more excited today than I did in years past.........its an addiction, obsession, passion......
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

Speaking of hootin' and hollerin' do any of you guys watch Ted Nugents show and see the way he goes nuts after the shot? Haha sometimes i think he is a little over the top but that's kind of his personality and its usually good natured.
Lots of folks here dislike Ted's antics. But, to me at least, he appears to be rejoicing.

I don't like seeing Stan Potts after a shot. He looks like a wild man. Like he was seething, boiling, red-hot ANGRY at his prey. He may not have that intent, but, I find it really bizarre...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM

I get pretty pumped up, but 99% of the time I'm all alone, so what is the point in yelling? I don't do that. Sometimes I'm so excited it's hard to deal with all the post kill tasks such as tagging and field dressing. It takes a real effort to calm down and be organized and safe with that stuff so I don't lose any equipment, mess anything up or hurt myself. I usuallyoffer tobacco and have a smoke.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Site Buck Guru

I prefer to do a Kurt Thomas floor routine (gymnast) then walk back to my truck on my hands.[:-]

I am guilty of the "no smile" pose with some of my deer and I figured out why that happens. Usually the best pic is the first one taken. The guy that I hunt with is almost always the photographer and he is HORRIBLE with cameras. After many shots where it was out of focus, something cut out or crooked picture, I find myself squinting to see if he's operating the camera correctly! Therefore a lot of my pics come out with me having that "mugshot" look! [&o]

Quick Reply: Post-Harvest Celebrations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.