Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Plz Help Me!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Plz Help Me!

What state and town you live in?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 PM

Well im also new in this forum but i have been hunting Texas Whitetails for more than 30 years & What i could recommend :

look for a hunters educational program in you area (park & wild life dept.)with such prog.youcan learnlots of things .

Get involved with older persons who hunt in your area, may be Some one in your family knows a hunter with a lot of experience may be he canteach yousome tips & tricks like safety precautions,choosing the right Bow,how to pull it,how to hunt,where to hunt,feild drees your animal.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM

I will echo everyone else so far about getting some type of "hunter's education" course under your belt, and finding someone who can show you the ropes. I would also read books and magazines and especially this website!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok if this is for real and not someone just screwing around trying to get people going here are my thoughts.

First In middle school you’re probably too young to HUNT on your own. To legally hunt on your own you have to be 16, I believe. Some states even have a minimum age. Others don't but you need to have the proper license etc. and someone to go with you that is licensed.Learn your state laws before you go. Read through the pamphlet and keep it handy. You asked about 15 lbs for a bow. That is illegal in any state I know of. 15 lbs is a start for learning to shoot but is not a hunting weight, and will only wound any animal it may hit.

If you really hunt you need to be as proficient with your equipment as you can be. That’s the first thing you need to work on. If your interested in bow hunting it takes allot of practice to become good enough to hunt with it IMO. So Don't just get a bow or gun and think you can hunt.

I, and allot of people here, have spent countless hours learning our equipment and learning the animals we hunt. I read everything I can about deer, which is what I primarily hunt. This helps in two ways. I have a better chance at getting close if I know the animals well. Secondly it gives you a since of how the animals live and lets you know they are not just targets to take pot shots at in order to say you've killed something. I never shoot unless I know I can take the animal and it is within a range I am comfortable with. Will you ever wound any. Well sadly things can happen. But it is your job the second you decide to go hunting to do everything in your power to take shot that will not cause that animal to suffer.

That being said it is important that you find someone that does hunt and pick their brains. Ask any little questions you may have. See if you can tag along with them on a hunt. Learn from watching. Read and ask questions on here too. If you cannot find anyone close check with your 4H office and see if there is a shooting sports club near you. If so, I encourage you to go and join. You'll learn not only how to shoot but how to be safe with firearms and archery equipment. And chances are you'll find someone who hunts.

You’re young. Don't rush it. Do it right and take your time to learn it. Hunting is about allot more than killing something.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

if i was you i would give my city and state that i live in and explain your situation, just about any old hunter would be excited to take you hunting and teach you what he knows. you may start a new thread and see if someone will help you. if you have a mentor that you know that can go with you as well that would be great.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

The best thing to do is to find an adult who hunts that you can trust. Also remember, whatever weapon you choose to hunt with, you can't be a good hunter, if you are not a good shooter. You are young enough that you could spend a year or two just practicing shooting, without even moving into actual hunting if you wanted to.

Many states don't allow hunting with a bow with a draw weight of less than 30 lb, but the previous poststating 40-45 lb as a good weight is pretty accurate.

It can be easier to start out as a gun hunter, and move into bow hunting, but youcan really go with what you feel on that. Agun is easier to shoot more consistently and accurately for a less experienced person, thus building confidence more easily.

Hunting books, magazines (and forums) can be helpful too. Just keep in mind that they will have many different opinions on the same topics, and there may be a lot of bull in them too. This means that an experienced, ethical, trustworthy person who hunts is a better source of information.

Good luck, and hopefully this can be a good place for you to get information. Welcome to the club.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Its refreshing to see youths wanting to get involved in hunting.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you run an add in a paper you might find some one that will take you under hes wing. also try a sporting goods store. Sometime Gander Mountain will take out youths that dont have family to take them out. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PARRENTS MEET AND OK ANYONE THAT IS WILLING TO ,,,TRAIN YOU IN THE SPORT. Good luck little buddy. Hunting is the way of the land. You will never be hungry again.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW15 lbs. were i live it has got to be at least 40 and even then i can do almost 60