Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hooked on Hunting

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Spike

Default Hooked on Hunting

So mid Nov. this year I figured I've never hunted before, love deer meat and have a little time off of work I should give hunting a try. I found a hunt club that you can pay by the day close enough to me and found a used rifle and off I went. I never even shot a rifle prior to this time. Sighted my rifle in and learned as much as I could from the guys at the club that afternoon and the next day sat in the stand both morning and evening. I saw two doe's and 1st timer luck couldn't scope the 1st and shot and missed the 2nd. Went out the Fri after Thanksgiving and shot a 8 point buck 165 lbs at the same place. I was able to go twice more and although I didn't get one hunted on a friends private land and was able to share in a deer that he shot. I'm hooked! My wife and family are enjoying the meat and I can't wait until next deer season. I'm not planning on regularly hunting the pay by the day club next season but need to find something in SC. Anyone know of any hunt clubs or the best way of finding a hunt club in SC? Counting down the days......
Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hooked on Hunting

Just wait until you do your first wild hunt, if you think you're hooked now...[8D]
Doing a hunt club is a good way to get your feet wet, but there's no comparing it to going to unfamiliar ground, doing the scouting, and setting up your first blind/stand. You're going to love it!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the addiction. Best of luck and good hunting.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck and enjoy...this was also my first year and now I am driving my wife crazy. It is all I think and talk about...Like Kevin said...wait until you do all the ground work...never thought seeing whopper sized droppings and scratches in the ground would be so exciting....hahaha!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

lol, find some private property, or even state land. do some scouting and get a good setup. Also get in with soem friends and do some drives, Lots of opportunites without having to pay a club fee.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you love Deer Hunting with a Rifle you should try going out with a Bow....depending on the State you live in you will get to hunt for even longer with a Bow and you have more time to go scouting and being outdoors!Glad to hear your first time hunting was a success,some times you can hunt for several years before getting a deer.I hope you have many years of great hunting!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear that we have another addict. The more you hunt deer (and enjoy it), you may find yourself becoming interested in hunting other game too. It is a very strong medicine, this hunting.
[align=left] [/align]