Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Update: Anti's Finally got me

Old 02-03-2003, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Update: Anti's Finally got me

In CA we can't leave a stand up unattended. Big surprise. Anyway it could have been someone that just liked your stand. Would take big balls to take a stand that someone might be returning to with a gun/bow.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:55 PM

I've gotta go with Nick and buckmine. It's probably another hunter instead of an anti. I can't picture an anti climbing up 16' to cut a stand off. It's unfortunate but odds are better that its another hunter. I've hunted a few areas where stands have disappeared other guys wanted us gone.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to ask that question as well. It has been my experience that treestands that have been taken, were removed by other hunters. Slob hunters we like to call them. I would make sure of my words before I put them on the title of my post.

Old 02-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big Bulls that was a great idea but I would go one step further and put a trip wire attached to a Claymore around the stand area, that would probably take care of the immediate problem. Seriously KoBear how do you know that Antis stole them? I lived and hunted in that State for a good part of my life and would never thought about leaving a tree stand attached to any part of a tree...hell we used to get them stolen on "PRIVATE" land and so we brought them in and took them out at nite.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

I use to hunt Jersey public land and in some areas you have to be worried about a hold up. Lible to have a group take the stand off your back and your gun to. Just kidding but I did hunt Jersey and it did have more idiots than in rural Connecticut.

One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 02-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

how do i know it was anti's? good question. truthfully i cannot absolutely tell you that it was. but before you press that "reply to topic" button, hear me out. earlier that week, we were doing a drive through this overgrown field. the only way to get to the end of the field is to walk along the road. we walked along the road and this guy comes out and starts to yell at us. not an old guy, maybe like 40. he is yelling "you guys cant hunt here!" etc. my dad politely assured him that it was legal and that his muzzleloader wasnt loaded, along with my shotgun. my friend (the third pusher) was unarmed. we told him that we would be back to talk to him after we finished the drive. after gutting the deer, we went back to this guys house. he was very condescending to my father and didnt want to hear anything that he had to say. we told him that before we loaded, we were the legal 450 feet from his house, and under NO circumstance would we shoot towards his house. he is trying to tell us it is 450 feet from his house to the river on the other side of the field. to the river it is very close to 450 yards. this guy had this big additude. Then, his wife comes out. she is even worse than her husband. she is totally anti-hunter-minded people. the guy was like i have seen your stands out there, so i knew you guys have been hunting out there. he had a beautiful husky, and the two stands stolen were located within 30 yards of the trails people walk on. saturday all the steps were stolen and sunday the stands were gone. we drove by there 2 times saturday night and there were no cars parked on the side of the road. this guys house is within 300 yards of both the stands, and since he lived close and obviously knows where our stands are, he could of easily walked down there saturday night and stole the stands. either way i think this guy is a jerk off.