Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting on the ground?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Default RE: hunting on the ground?

I shot 2 deer by bow this year and have had several other chances but not matures enough animals. I got a new area this year and couldn't do any preseason scouting , so scouted as I went. Next year now I'll have a stand or two up but will still do some stillhunting when I have to.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 PM

This blind has worked great.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

I sat on the ground this year, my back against a medium size tree and had a doe and 10 pt come within 5 yards of me. I was in blaze orange as required by ohio during gun season. They didn't see me, didn't hear me, didn't smell me. She was running away from the buck because he wouldn't get his nose out of her butt lol
I'm gonna assume and hope that the 10pter didn't get far past you! If you've got the patience to let a 10pt walk, you're 100x more patient than I am!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 AM

I took my biggest buck to date sitting on the ground. Hunting the wind is critical at ground level, and you have to sit still.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM

next season im making a box blind
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I treat deer hunting from the ground similar to turkey hunting but adding the scent factor. Do what you have to to remove your outline (against a wide tree or back to thick brush) Then brush in as much as you can in front of you.
Then...DON'T MOVE.
Don't move while waiting to see deer (they usually see you first)
Move your gun only when they can't see you (be carful of the fake head bob)
Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Motion and scent are what get you busted when ground hunting. A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on a folding chair wearing ASAT sprayed with Deer Dander, and a buck walked up close enough to literally sniff my back before taking off. If I had moved he would have spotted me much sooner. BTW, the wind was in his favor, props to Deer Dander.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Kevin said reminded me of a hunt i had where a decent size buck walked up so close behind the tree i was leaning against that my heart just about pounded out of my chest. I was bowhunting and i never moved. unfortunatley he came from my left to right and behind so being right handed and turning to my right with a bow created shot issues for me and i never got one off.
It was a very cool experience having a buck come within 5 feet of me
Old 01-02-2008, 02:43 PM

when i was hunting a few weeks back i was sitting below a cedar tree near a fenceline and 2 does went broadside to me at 10 yards and didnt notice me until they heard me sneeze.........i shot at one but i guess the powder was wet and it didnt go off i was pretty upset
Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 PM

As others have said, it is all about playing the wind, and being still. You don't really need much of a blind, although the more concealment the better. Camoflage isn't all that important either. When a deer is in sight, you can't move unless the deer is moving,looking away, or heavily screened. If the deer is pretty close, or acting nervous, avoid eye contact, keep your face tilted down and away, and don't move a muscle.

I've been busted a few times by deer that come in pretty fast and close, take you by surprise, they stop, look, you look at them, gone. Sometimes it just happens. They live out there 24/7, and they are very in tune with their surroundings. You have to be in tune also. You have to be relaxed, calm, comfortable, blend in and become part of the scene. If you're standing there allgeeked up and vibrating, (I'm guilty of this myself sometimes) it's no wonder you get busted.

Quick Reply: hunting on the ground?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.