Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dressing deer in the COLD

Old 12-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Spike

Default Dressing deer in the COLD

How do you guys in the really cold places field dress your deer? Most of the time during deer season it is warm enough that I just roll up my sleeves and dig in, but how do you guys that hunt in really cold weather do it? Get bloody? Roll them up and dig in? Really long rubber gloves to cover your sleeves?

Jason
Old 12-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dressing deer in the COLD

Well I have dressed deer in -40. I think thatwas the worst. You do it very quickly lol Actually the blood is what keeps your hand warm. Its after that when the cold gets you. Of course I hunt where my truck gets to the deer in weather like that. Loading to me is the coldest part of it on your hands.The blood is dried instanstly on your hands. If youput mitts on they warm up and the blood melts soaking the mitts.I keep wet toilets in the truck to wipe the blood off. Within an hour the deer is rock hard. have to thaw it out to skin it.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just shed the coats, & layers,dig in get it done with, wash up, re dress!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Same as Carp. When it is cold you don't waste any time. The blood does keep your hands warm and I never use rubber gloves.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey guys got a idea for the blood drying use peroxide i cut myself the other day and had some blood dry to the back of my hand and i just dumped alittle peroxide on it and it bubbled up and washed it off you would be amazed at how it helps get blood off also if you get blood on your cloths put a little in some water and i mean alittle and wipe it off your clothes if you use to much peroxide your clothes will turn white and may also deteriorate and fall apart over a short period of time i plan to put a bottle in my truck for next season
Old 12-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Strip down to my shirt sleeves push them up and dig in...If there's snow I wash up with that if not I keep a tub"Wet Ones" wipesin my truck...On my caribou hunt this fall it was coooooold!!!...the animals were actually freezing before we got them dressed out and the snow was like ground up glass...nasty stuff to wash up with...[:-]
Old 12-28-2007, 02:31 PM

I shot one from a stand one time, and I was so cold and shaking I couldn't do it. My uncle came along and did it for me. If that happened again I would just walk around until I warmed up a bit, then take off coat, roll up sleeves, get er done. It's only a 5 minute job for me, and the warm blood and physical effortwarms me up a lot. Just wipe off with snow or vegetation, wash better when you get back to camp.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Ive got in the habbit of wearring arms length gloves and surgical gloves" like vets use when there working on cows" since all the scare came about from gutting hogs. I kinda like just pealling them off when Im done and dont have to worry about getting cleaned up in the river or creek, also once when I was gutting a dear I had a hog come into my area, slid the gloves off, picked up my rifle and shot it also, didnt make a mess of my rifle. I guess Im just getting old!, when I was younger I just dove in, blood flying everywere!.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Spike

I just start cutting. If I get hot I will remove clothing. This year I took off my heavy coat but left everything else on and did not roll up my sleeves. You don't really get that much blood on you and I had my arms in up to my elbows. The hardest part this year was keeping the snow off my glasses wich caused them to fog up severly. I took them off to finish the job. It goes much quicker when you can see. When it was warmer I remember rolling up my sleeves in just a shirt. What I am realy saying is you get the job done and don't really think about how you will do it.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 PM

When its that cold out, the guys in my group we basically fight to see who gets to gut it. Warms ya up in a hurry. I use latex gloves and what gets on my forarms i use baby wipes to clean up with.

Quick Reply: Dressing deer in the COLD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.