Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help hunting Whitetails

Old 12-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help hunting Whitetails

Corny is as corny does ...thats all Im going to say about that

dd
Old 12-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the great tips and the funny ones too. I use a climbing stand so stand position is variable. I've been hitting an oak grove for the last few days of hunting this year. I did see a huge buck this year during the rut. It was a 10 pointer. First time ever seeing a whitetail that big. When I grabbed my xbow, without any noise, he freaked and ran off. My guess is he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. This deer was almost under my stand. Maybe 5 yards away. I think I should have been more patient and let him walk 20 yards away before reaching for my xbow. That would have let him get his eyes and ears facing away from me. How come the movie guys are talking, running cameras, doing whatever and the deer just play under their stands?

Do you hang your xbow when glassing? It seems like I need 2 hands for that, so I hang it, but picking it up spooked the last deer! Also, do you sit or stand when hunting? Now, I do both. I will sit for an hour, stand for an hour. I like to alternate because standing allows me to see much more area, while sitting seems more quiet. My stand is quiet to move around on so this isn't a worry.

My climber is a bit noisy to get on the tree, so it is on the list to get replaced, but many use a similar climber without complaint. I'm thinking Equalizer or Ameristep this spring. I think I could put either of those on the tree with minimal noise. Any tips on being quiet with the standard pinned cable type climber? It is sooooo loud to get on the tree, it seems.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:26 AM

All I am saying is to change your tatic's. What worked in Montana - won't work in OHIO.

Sitting only works when the deer are traveling - like in the rut and when there is people in the woods moving the deer around.

If you are the only person in that patch of woods, you could be sitting here and they could be sitting there and you will never see them and they will make sure never to see you.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on how high up your are in a tree the deer will spot you if you are too low,also if you move too much they will pick up that also.If the deer have spotted you in your stand or you have scared them away while in your stand they will stay away from that area because they know danger is in that area.Don't over huntthe same stand and set up a few more stands in different area's and watch the wind direction so you don't let the deer pick up your scent.If you can't afford new stands then change your climber to a different location every so often.When Hunting or Scouting I pick out several different tree's that are on good trails or where I've seen deer moving then move to them if my current location isn't productive.Keep trying and always improveyour scent control one day it will all come together and you will get yourself a nice Deer!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

DR. DEATH- LMFAO!!