Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Control

Old 12-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Scent Control

scentlok and all of that carbon clothing crap is just that crap. it's been debunked numerous times.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jorkep

scentlok and all of that carbon clothing crap is just that crap. it's been debunked numerous times.
This statement is not factual... Please reference the article/journal/etc.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Actually it is scientific!

http://www.scentlok.com/articles/articles_detail.aspx?n=16
Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: newguy23
Are you trying to tell me a deer has never snort/wheezed at you?
Never while hunting, I have had does do it in the off season while I was walking in a field or the woods, but only after they stare you down for a few minutes first. I have had a few bust me while moving, or if I bump something, but they don't snort or wheeze, they just take off.

I shot my first deer with a bow wearing a camo T-shirt, black jeans and my work boots. And I went hunting right after working 10 hours in a hot factory. And it was 70 degrees out in the afternoon. I shot the deer at 18 yards away from 13 feet up. There were actually two deer under me, and I watched them graze around for a while before I shot one of them. They didn't have clue I was there until it was too late.

I some how manage to kill a deer every year without all the scent free products. The way some make it sound I should never see deer, let alone get a shot off at one, with a bow no less.

I bet if you went out and hung a pair of stinky underwear from a game camera you would still see deer on it. As a matter of fact you may see one right at the camera sniffing them.

My opinion anyway. If you want to buy the scent free stuff go ahead, it certainly can't hurt anything. Unless it actually gives off some chemical odor we can't smell, but deer can and that freaks them out more than BO will.

Paul
Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I won't argue that you can shoot a deer without being concerned with scent... Hell I have had deer come out to an open field and stare at me less then 20 yards from me... Hell I had one this year watch me put my deer hunting stand up!!!

However I hunt to have the opportunity to take large/mature deer, especially bucks... These are deer that in theory have gained knowledge through their lives... Now having said that I am sure there will be people year-in and year-out who get big deer without being concerned with scent/wind, but they are the exception to the rule.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

useing scent control,i have had deer within 10ft of me while setting in a chair in open woods. i have had them walk all the way around me and not spook. i don't think you need to spend any extra on scentlock clothing to do this.

cabelas and bass pro shops are involved in a law suit now over false claims from scentlock .
Old 12-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

i can not beleive what i am hearing. I never get busted by mature does and bucks since i got into carbons suits. I am religous about using scent free soap, shampoo, rubber boots ,etc. I had a huge 10 point come to me when the wind was blowing right to him. Never new i was their. This deer was a least 3 1/2 years old. I dont know where you guys hunt but here in PA are deer are smart since their is so much pressure. IF YOU SEEn thirty deer with out take the precautions image how many you would have seen with it. Deer could smell you and decide im not going that way. AS for me i will always use scent blocker. THe most rememberable time is when i walk about a mile and it was unseasonable warm. I was drenched in sweat. I thought i would never see a deer. Well it work and i had several older deer come right under me and never knew i was their. I know a few guys which i like to call stinky hunters, and the only time they see bucks is during the rut-when their stupid.PERIOD
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

PUTTING A STINKING SOCK AND DEER WOULD STILL COME TO INVESTIGATE. I dont know about that, but i think you guys arent very educated about how smart and how well a deer can smell. THink about it. DID any of you ever smell fresh doe in estrous. I have smelled doe estrous straight out of the doe and it doesnt smell at all. NOW that i said that...Think about rut hunting.......A Hot doe can come by..... and several minutes later a buck can come by following the scent trail....Several minutes later another one.....ETC. I have seen it several times. Now think about your stink clothes....they smell them and leave that area because they know its danger...
Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mikepsu54

i can not beleive what i am hearing. I never get busted by mature does and bucks since i got into carbons suits. I am religous about using scent free soap, shampoo, rubber boots ,etc. I had a huge 10 point come to me when the wind was blowing right to him. Never new i was their. This deer was a least 3 1/2 years old. I dont know where you guys hunt but here in PA are deer are smart since their is so much pressure. IF YOU SEEn thirty deer with out take the precautions image how many you would have seen with it. Deer could smell you and decide im not going that way. AS for me i will always use scent blocker. THe most rememberable time is when i walk about a mile and it was unseasonable warm. I was drenched in sweat. I thought i would never see a deer. Well it work and i had several older deer come right under me and never knew i was their. I know a few guys which i like to call stinky hunters, and the only time they see bucks is during the rut-when their stupid.PERIOD
I have been sitting back and just reading this post, but I am gonna have to say something else to this post!..
I also live in Pa. Central Pa for that matter and I have hunted every year for the last 21 years and I have "Never" had a deer run off from me by my scent ONLY movement!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Most deer aren't very smart in my opinion. Just very paranoid and skiddish. One of my friends when I was little had one of those skiddish cats in his house that would run if you looked at it the wrong way. I like to compare deer hunting to that cat (his name was Smokey). Not too smart, just a paranoid freak.

Quick Reply: Scent Control

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.