Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how long will frozen meat last?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Default how long will frozen meat last?

i have some meat from last season in the freezer and i'm just wondering how long it might last?
sorry for the back to back threads.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how long will frozen meat last?

My family is still enjoying 2005 meat. My processor uses the vacuum sealer. Keeping the air away that causes freezer burn is the key to making your meat last longer.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd eat it up . if vacum sealed about 1 1/2 years maybe two but you would be pushing it . Heck just eat it ,it doesn't last that long around my house
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

My family is still enjoying 2005 meat. My processor uses the vacuum sealer. Keeping the air away that causes freezer burn is the key to making your meat last longer.
same here. when I get meat processed, I have it vacuum sealed, and when I do it myself, I use the Food Saver.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Wow! Thats along time in the freezer without burning. Gotta get me one of them.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM

I have a roast in the crock pot as we speak, from 10/06. I expect it to be delicious. I just use freezer paper, got no use for those vaccum sealers. They're expensive, and the seals fail quite often.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had a seal fail?? I have eaten meat two years old that was vaccuum sealed and it was fine!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Spike

vaccuum pack is the only wat to go.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Id just try to eat it up as soon as possible...how could someone have leftovers before the new season???!!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never have meat left over personally, but you can tell when its freezer burnt by colour and smell. If just touched trim off the burn and the rest should be fine. I have doneit many times for people for sausage that was packaged poorlyand it turns out just fine. If it smells off then I wouldn't eat it.

If packaged properly due to the lack of fat in venison it should last 12 months. I use a vac pack for sausage typically, when it comes to steaks, roasts or hamburgerI double wrap and have heard many times from customers that the meat is just fine the next year with this method.

Quick Reply: how long will frozen meat last?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.