Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In search of his first buck.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default In search of his first buck.

Here in Ohio we had an extra weekend of gun hunting this year. Yesterday and today (Dec 15-16). I took a buck on opening day of the first day of season so I didn't need to go out.

Anyway, A boy at church (Chris) has been very sick and in and out of the hospital. He's 16 and loves to go hunting. His step father hasn’t had time to take him. So I decided I'd put him in my stand were I killed my buck. I thought he'd have a good chance at a deer there. He's killed one doe (severalyears ago)and really wanted a buck but would have been happy with a doe too.

So later in the week I talked to them and his doctors said he was doing better and his mom OK'd him to go with me. Actually she was all for it. So Friday night I pick him up and bring him home. Unfortunately we got in late. But I could tell he was excited. So we finally get to be and I set my alarm trying to get us in before light but still giving him enough sleep. Well, I blew it. We got up and got over there as it was getting light. As we walked to the stand we bumped out two does. "Great, just great, I blew it for him" I thought. He got a good look and seemed happy.

I had hung a hang on stand on the same tree as my ladder stand that I normally use. So I climb up and get in and then he gets up. I get him all strapped in and he settles in. He had a few questions and we quietly discussed a few things.

After an hour or so the guy next door walks across the back of my property (not real happy about that) and then gets his ATV and drives back all over his property which is prime land for deer hunting. They were hunting too but I doubt they saw much.

Soon it started to snow. I mean really snow. At about 10 am I see a buck walking to his right at 35-40 yards. It’s a half racked buck but still a buck. I lean down to him and say:

“Buck, right there. Get your gun up”

“Get your gun up”

He didn’t move. The buck is now stopped in the open broadside at about 35 yards.

“Get your gun up”

“Get your gun up”

He froze. Then the buck starts moving again. I bleat to get the buck to stop again. I thought he may have been waiting for the buck to give him a chance to raise the gun. Nope. The buck decided he had enough an trotted away from us never stopping to offer a longer shot.

I think I was excited as he was or more. My leg was shaking LOL. Like I was the one hunting for my first buck. Chris told me later he couldn’t believe he just froze. He’s been smiling ever since and telling, everyone who will listen, the story. In fact so have I. What a great hunt. I tell you, if you’ve never taken someone hunting like that your missing out.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In search of his first buck.

Here is a pic of Chris up in the tree, Before the snow.

Man I almost think that day was as much fun as my hunt when I killed my buck this year. Almost.... I know i was more nervous before the shot, or lack ther of. LOL

Old 12-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story, congrats!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story... love the pic.