Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck shot illegal???

Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: buck shot illegal???

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

No but we've shot deer runnin through the grass swamp and brush thickets doin mach 80 on drives and at 40 yards or less is achip shot with any point and shoot shotgun let aloneasemi-auto 12 ga. Less than 40 yards keep swingin the gun and put it on the front of their chest. The slug will find its mark. Don't take much lead to hit em under 40 yards. Not to mention the one we shot runnin at 80 yards either. Another thing slugs do better is bustin brush.... But no we can't use dogs to run deer andIknow the buck shot has its uses so I'm not gonna agrue about that. WCL
HMMM, 80 yard shot, deer was running???? Sounds like a good ethical shot to me!!And you are worried about wounding one with buckshot?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I can remember when all we usedwas, 00 & Slugs for deer!No rifled barrels and No sabots...Many deer have been killed using 00 buck!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maryland_Whitetail

HMMM, 80 yard shot, deer was running???? Sounds like a good ethical shot to me!!And you are worried about wounding one with buckshot?
When there is 4 people shootin at it that deer has little chance of goin anywhere. He was hit twice. Once in the neck and once in the heart. From the start of the shots till he died he went about 50 yards. I know when to shoot and when not to shoot, I know when we can kill the deer or not. The reason we shot at it was cuz the young kid had hit it in the neck at 40 yards and was wounded (I'm sure someone will say well if he had buck shot he would have killed, well maybe but we cant use buck shot nor would buck shot have prolly made it through the thicket he was shooting through), tail went down so we helped finish him off for the kid. Wing shooting helps alot for shootin runnin deer with the shotguns and we didnt lose any deer on the year of the 22 we shot with guns. Everyone has their opinion on ethical shots and some of those longer shots we take are ethical IMO for us cuz I am confident we can bring the deer down. WCL
Old 12-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Great job my man! Heart shot at 80 yards running.....can I get a lesson? I can't seem to hit em in the heart at 20 yards broadside.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haha yeah I dunno just shoot alot I guess. The heart shot was pretty lucky but the bullet was in the right vacinity anyway. We shoot alot of stuff for fun at the end of the season to burn up our extra slugs from the yearlike tires rolling down hills and targets at long ranges. Shoot alot and figure out sight pictures for longer distnaces with the shotguns. We usually shoot em out to 100 yards at paper to get comfortable and figure out the sight picture even though we rarely shoot that far unless necissary. We use smooth bird barrels with our slugs as its much easier to shoot at mvoing targets when there is no iron sights to line up. I shot one little doe this year my buddy had hit in the rump and was gonna die but I didnt know that and it ran past me, not real fast but trotting and I was gonna shoot it in the chest till I saw it was tiny and figured no need to waste more meat so I went for the head neck shot and hit her right behind the head at the base of the neck at about 15 yards. We do alot of instinctive shooting which I think helps alot, like wing shooting, bowfishing (no sights or rest, just point and shoot), and last year we started tryin to shoot pheasants with the bows at my buddies cuz he raises birds and has extras every year, we got afew and missed alot but we started getting better the more we did it taking more feathers off birds and coming really close. Can't wait till we get to do it again in a month or so. I guess practice and shooting alot has made us alot better at shooting the instinctive running shots. Giveme a scoped rifle and a running deer and forget it, Ill miss about every time, standing free hand with scope andI'm right on though. Couple of the other guys are really good at runningshots with rifles though, just not me.WCL
Old 12-17-2007, 06:49 PM

alright wingchaser labs and stabnslab if you want to post comments about this topic fine if not please dont. i dont want to argue with you guys anymore. lets agree to disagree. i think a deer stuck in a swing is not funny you think it is funny. alright no hard feelings. i ws in the wrong to say im gonna flag that video i didnt mean that
Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 PM

is buckshot more expensive than slugs?
can you use buckshot for hogs?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 PM

I hunt with Buckhammer slugs.

The only time I would even consider shooting a deer with buckshot is if I get attacked by a deer while duck, pheasant, goose, rabbit, or squirrel hunting.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buckshot is leathal! Two main things that are really negative about buckshot is a lot of people are going to try to stretch the range= lost animals! Second, it doesn't expand, so if it doesn't drop 'em on the spot, you may not have much of a blood trail if any to follow!=lost animals!
There are just too many good slugs and rifle bullets out there to chance buckshot!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Think about it boys, you use 4/5/6 shot for squirrels/rabbits/ducks. etc...They are killed by multiple hits of shot, and killing shots are within 40 yards or so...It is the same with buckshot and deer, the multiple hits are the key...There is nothing less ethical about using buckshot for deer than using other shot for small game...The same guys that bang away at ducks at 60 yards hoping for a lucky pellet to bring it down will bang away at a deer at 60 yards hoping for the same...

The key to learning to be a hunter is learning to kill with the weapon in your hands.....

Quick Reply: buck shot illegal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.