Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unethical Shooting?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Unethical Shooting?

When it comes to ethical shots, it would be based on each individuals ability. For me a running shot is unethical unless he is within 30 yards and open ground. The same running deer at 30 yards in timber would be an unethical shot for me personally. A deer standing broadside at 200 yds. is an ethical shot for me. I can make that shot, but I've spent time on the range and know my slug hits 6" low at 200 yds. Now if I change slugs, then it would be an unethical shot if I don't spend time on the range to see where this slug hits. If that deer is at 200 yards and the wind is blowing 30 miles an hour then that would be an unethical shot for me. The conditions, weapon used, time spent practicing, all play into whether or not a particular shot is ethical at that specific point in time.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Watching Realtree Roadtrips with David Blantan (sp), a buck busts a field running as fast as a deer can run. He sends lead his way missing completely then offers up that he's a terrible shot at anything moving a mach speed.

My question is this, Is this not an unethical shot? He volunteered he can't make the shot but shoots anyway. If he's missing that far, think about the wounding possibilities. Usually David is straight up.

Most people have absolutely NO business shooting at running deer! (Notice I said most.) [:'(]
i totaly agree . it is unethical if you agree you can't make the shot but shoot any way
Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I would say it was an untethical shot, especially from a "professional" on tv. That is bad.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:38 PM

A friend of mine dropped a 10 point buck at 85 yards running with 1 shot through both lungs. He can hit that shot but you'd never see me trying it. Its ethical for him, not ethical for me. But admitting you can't take a shot and taking it anyhow is asanine.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone that says they can consistantly make a kill shot on a full out running deer is lying to you. A straight line moving target yes. But there is nothing consistant about a running, bounding deer.