Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

LOUSY CANADIAN OUTFITTER

Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LOUSY CANADIAN OUTFITTER

The major difficulty that you guys down south face is that you are unable to whitetail hunt in most areas (if not all now) in Canada with out the services of an outfitter. I have, to others on this net provided a name for an outfitter, but only after knowing this outfitter both personally as well as professionally for many years. Our country is so vast and the outfitters are numerous yet so are the deer hunting oppertunities. When choosing a Canadian outfitter I would check first with the individual province's outfitter list. The real successful outfitters rarely advertise so are sometimes hard to find. They rely on word of mouth for their advertising. This hunting net can also be a valuable resourse. There are many here that veiw hunting as a lifestyle and not just a part time activity. Check with these individuals first if they are in a specific area you wish to hunt. They will usually know both the good and the bad and at least will be able to direct you in the right direction. Buying a hunt does not always mean success. I've seen some pay big bucks, come in with equipment that is worth a king's ransom, but still couldn't shoot a buck if it was tied to a tree 20 yards in front of him. Hiring an outfitter is not a guarentee for a B&C buck of a lifetime. What you should expect though is what is stated in the contract (good food and lodging, reliable equipment, being set up where you will have an oppertunity to harvest a quality animal). As all of us long time hunters know, whitetails do not always co-operate. It often takes days of patience and some hard hunting to score that king of the woods. Hey, if it was easy, every one would be doing it. Sorry your hunt was a bust. The only good thing to come out of this would be to pass along the advertising that he provided for you. Once the word is out so will his business.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

this is what I offer .... I tell them that I will consider using their service ONLY if they agree in writing to allow me to come back the following year at half price or extend my hunt by 3 days at no chargeif I do not fire my weapon while hunting ... I make sure they understand the type of animal I am hunting for ... and what I expect in accommodations ...
Normally I stay as far from these threads as possible....because you only get one side of the story and everyone jumps on the bandwagon to start bashing outfitters.

As for your "proposition" Doc.....LOL.....If I were on the other end of the phone when you gave me that propostion I would laugh at you and tell you to go find a high fence operation and hang up. It seems that's what you're asking for.....a guranteed hunt.

People, you have to remember, you're going on a hunt....not a shoot.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

this is what I offer .... I tell them that I will consider using their service ONLY if they agree in writing to allow me to come back the following year at half price or extend my hunt by 3 days at no chargeif I do not fire my weapon while hunting ... I make sure they understand the type of animal I am hunting for ... and what I expect in accommodations ...

If I were on the other end of the phone when you gave me that propostion I would laugh at you and tell you to go find a high fence operation and hang up. It seems that's what you're asking for.....a guranteed hunt.
Well Dan you obviously did not read my entire responce ...had I been wanting a "guranteed"LOL ...guaranteed hunt I would have asked him for a totally free hunt the following year ...I know Canadian Outiffters ...some not all tend to over promise what they have to offer ...thus this thread ...if he is honest and hard working ..has high confidence in HISproperty then there really is no risk on HIS part ..if I shoot and miss, wound or tag out hes off the hook BUT if I go andall I see are scrub bucks and doe's he best be out scouting or its half price next year.

dd
Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Yeah, Ok Doc. If all you see are scrub bucks its totally the outfitters fault....every time.

I don't guide deer hunters for a reason.....they have way too high of expectations. They come to Canada and think a booner is hiding behind every tree.

DD, I'm glad your "offer" has worked out for you.....but I would hang up the phone before you had the chance if you gave me that offer. I love taking deer hunters that have reasonable expectations.....you just wouldn't be one of them.

Good luck in Sk next year.....who are you hunting with?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, Ok Doc. If all you see are scrub bucks its totally the outfitters fault....every time.

I don't guide deer hunters for a reason.....they have way too high of expectations. They come to Canada and think a booner is hiding behind every tree.

DD, I'm glad your "offer" has worked out for you.....but I would hang up the phone before you had the chance if you gave me that offer. I love taking deer hunters that have reasonable expectations.....you just wouldn't be one of them.

Good luck in Sk next year.....who are you hunting with?
Dan when you have an Outfiitter charge anywhere from $3000 to $7000 PLUS wanting a tip...for a whitetail deer hunt in CanadaAND you hear and read about things like what happend to the guy that started this thread (and it happens way to often in Canada)....then I think YOU (as a hunter) have a right to have "high expectations" ..... and you have the right negotiatethe best deal you can to protect your investment .... there are a lot of reputable outfitters in Canada BUT there are just as many "fly by nighters" to .... if I called you and you did not like my terms you have the right to refuse ...just as I have that right to keep looking ...Outfitters in Canada are a dime a dozen ....its the good ones that are hard to find...also what you said about whitetail deer hunters expecting to get a Booner everytime doesnt hold water in my book ...the majority of hunters that go to Canada come from the souther states ...the Canadian outfitters know this and play on it ...if a guy from Flordia, Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia shoot a 145 or larger his first or second time up they come home on cloud 9 because they most likely have NEVER seen a buck that big backhome ...and a 145 buck in Canada is a dink ....

dd
Old 12-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you....totally.....Doc.

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of the time hunters go to Canada and have TOTALLY unrealistic expectations of what they are going to see......and from your posts over the last few year you seem to be one of them.

You killed a great buck with an outfitter and were singing his praises and reccommending him to everyone. You even tried booking a few hunts for him on Ebay. Then you go up and have a bad year hunting and you want to sue him.

When the tough gets going......nevermind.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you....totally.....Doc.

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of the time hunters go to Canada and have TOTALLY unrealistic expectations of what they are going to see......and from your posts over the last few year you seem to be one of them.

You killed a great buck with an outfitter and were singing his praises and reccommending him to everyone. You even tried booking a few hunts for him on Ebay. Then you go up and have a bad year hunting and you want to sue him.

When the tough gets going......nevermind.
Dan what difference does it make what kind of buck I took the previous year because I have already paid for THAT hunt...does that releave him of his responsibility as an outfitter to do his job the NEXT year ....did that give him the right to just sit on his butt in his truck smoking cigsfor 6 days knowing we were not seeing any deer movement...how long am I supposed to pay for that buck I took the previous year ... its obvious you and I do not see eye to eye on this but I respect your opinion.

dd
Old 12-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Do you understand my point? My point is....if you, or anyone else, goes on an outfitted hunting trip, have reasonable expectations.

Do you ever sit in KY, or previously AL, and not see much for deer movement in a week? It happens on outfitted trips to. You could shoot a booner.....but you could eat tag soup too.

I'm not arguing with you Doc, just trying to make you see a point......along with everyone else that wants to bash outfitters.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you understand my point? My point is....if you, or anyone else, goes on an outfitted hunting trip, have reasonable expectations.

Do you ever sit in KY, or previously AL, and not see much for deer movement in a week? It happens on outfitted trips to. You could shoot a booner.....but you could eat tag soup too.

I'm not arguing with you Doc, just trying to make you see a point......along with everyone else that wants to bash outfitters.
Dan IMHO most hunters that go to Canada to deer hunt for the first or second time have expectations that are built on what they see on TV shows ...advertisements in deer hunting magazines where the Outiffters show thier largest bucks taken ...and the fact that for most this is a life long dream and maybe a once in a lifetime trip ...after watching Jim Shockey and others show the BIG bucks they take in Canada what would you expect a hunters expectations to be when he sends that BIG check to the Outiffter ..... just curious?

dd
Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 PM

I would expect them to realize they're going on a hunt, not a shoot. That and realize that no matter how good the outfitter is, even Jim Shockey, they may not see a big buck or get an opportunity to shoot something.

Pretty simple.

Quick Reply: LOUSY CANADIAN OUTFITTER

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.