Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

remington 870 question

Old 12-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: remington 870 question

ORIGINAL: jorswift

I have a remington 870 express and it has a regular slug vented barrel. I was wondering what barrel would be the best for deer and shooting sabots. A fully rifled barrel or what? I want to shoot somehigher qualityslugs than what I have been shooting. Thanks.
I shoot the same gun.... as long as that barrel is a little dirty, its dead on....
I shoot federal slugs through it and have noticed that if I clean it... Its not as acurate, if I throw a few rounds through it and the resight.. Its on....
Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Maybe a minority if I were shooting once a year, but it took a good 6 boxes of SST's to get it dialed in at the 100-150 yard range. I don't care if you own a Browning A-bolt, you need to practice, and more than just a few shells.
I don't quite understand that statement. I mean agree with the point that most people should practice more. But are saying it took 6 boxes of shells (almost $100 worth!) in order for you to find out they were accurate in your gun? I'm curious out of those 6 boxes what were your average groups at 100 and 150 yards? Not what did it do once or twice, what did it do most of the time. 30 rounds should have given you a pretty good indication. And I have shot more than 30 rounds in one day before out of various slug guns, so I could easily go through 6 boxes of shells and still only shoot once a year.

I mean I hope your not saying that because I can't get the faster the loads to shoot well in my gun is because I just can't shoot well. Shooting a rifle is shooting a rifle, the mechanics are the same be it a .22 rimfire, high powered rifle or a slug gun. It doesn't take more than a box or so of shells to know that load sucks in my gun. If I have one load that will shoot 2 inch or better groups and I switch to something else and it will not put 5 rounds into an 8 inch group I would say my gun doesn't like them. I'm not buying 5 more boxes just to see what happens.

I talk to people that shoot slug guns quite a bit all year long, for competition, and this is where I come up with you guys being in the minority. A lot of these guns simply will not shoot the faster rounds well. I see it all the time. Some will though so they are worth giving them a shot, just don't buy a case of them hoping they will work.

Paul
Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have an 870 with a Hastings cantilever and a Bushnell multi-reticle red-dot. I usually just shoot with the 6 MOA dot. I know that anything out to about 125 yds the slug is inside the dot somewhere. The dot is 3" dia at 50yds and only 7.5" diameter at 125yds.

Dot on deer--slug in dot--deer on ground.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Remington 870 question

ORIGINAL: USNRETHunter

I have an 870 with a Hastings cantilever and a Bushnell multi-reticle red-dot. I usually just shoot with the 6 MOA dot. I know that anything out to about 125 yds the slug is inside the dot somewhere. The dot is 3" dia at 50yds and only 7.5" diameter at 125yds.

Dot on deer--slug in dot--deer on ground.
I have a FNBRN A-5 W/Hastings Rifle Barreland I can bust burned-out flood lamps on the mound at 150+ yds with Winchester BRI's with barrel sights.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington 870 question

Not sure where the original poster is, but here in Iowa we are limited to shotgun and smokepole. The only centerfire rifle hunting in Iowa is a special January antlerless season in the southern two tiers of counties to try to thin some of the numerous large corn-fed road rodents. There are still well over 10,000 tags available for that season.