Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

It is illegal here to have skulls that weren't legally harvested(aka tagged). This includes road kill, natural causes, etc. Though we can request a wildlife permit from the DNR for a nominal fee, like anything of the "STATE/CROWN" it is at there discretion and can refuse.I have seen many headless deer over the years but I have never sawed one off personally.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:47 AM

It's illegal in Texas too. I've never done it, but know some who have. I have to admit considering it this year. On opening morning last month, a truck full of duck hunters nailed a nice young 10 point right in front of me. I was just about to pass them, but saw the deer coming out from the opposite side of the road. They hit and flipped him pretty high. Really a shame to see a nice young deer like that meet his demise that way, particularly since we were only about a mile from where I hunt. He might have grown up and come by my spot one day.

I pulled over, as did the truck that hit them, and told those guys maybe they should consider deer instead of duck hunting.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Every year along the train tracks by my house I find a couple dead bucks. My house is full of antlers from deer I have found dead. One time I threw the whole deer in the back of my track on the highway because I didnt have a knife handy, and it wasnt even worth it since it was only a little six pointer. What can I say, I like deer antlers.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seen a little 8 point dead one day and I went home and got a saw and did what i had to do. You could barely see him in the woodline so his leftovers were well-hidden. So..im guilty as well.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is illegal in PA. I see scalped deer on the highway all the time though.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i can see taking theantlers but not the whole head. i wouldn't want a whole mount of something i didn't get
Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Years ago I found a big mule deer buck on the side of the road while heading home early in the morning. (I lived in Colorado at the time) I got a saw from home and went back and took the skull cap. After some measurements I realized he would have just missed B and C and just made P and Y at the timeif taken in the field. I took the horns to a taxidermist who purchased a cape and he now hangs on my wall. Everyone who sees him is told how he meat his demise. I felt such a regal buck deserved to be on a wall. Not just left in a ditch.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 PM

On a related note, all of you do realize that the largest Boone and Crockett buck of record was found on the side of the road? Pretty interesting really.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FtWorthHunter

On a related note, all of you do realize that the largest Boone and Crockett buck of record was found on the side of the road? Pretty interesting really.

Foundby the Missouri Dept of Conservation in 1981 in St. Louis County.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

i can see taking theantlers but not the whole head. i wouldn't want a whole mount of something i didn't get
One of my uncles friends has about eight big bucks mounted on his wall and he only shot two of them. The rest were big bucks he found dead on the highway. I dont know why you would spend that kind of money to get a deer mounted that had been hit by a car. He has some other critters to like a fox and a big coon mounted that were roadkill.

Quick Reply: Cutting heads of roadkill bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.