Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

not a good day on stand...

Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default not a good day on stand...

jus want to vent and see if this has happened to anyone before. got to my friends aunts land this morning (never hunted here before), he put me in a tree and i was in stand early. at shooting light, i look to my right and see a nice little 4 point. i let him walk a few more steps towards me (he now was about 5 yards max), put the beads of my benelli 12 ga on him. i line up the perfect shot (he has no idea wats going on) and when i go to pull the trigger, i hear a "clank". so now me and this deer are looking directly at each other, and he stands there for about 10 seconds and then runs off. turns out the slide on my gun somehow was not completely flush with the top of the barrel, i gueess when i moved it to put the beads on him, i might have pulled the slide back a tad. so no damn shot came out, lol, i was stunned. only a camera could have recaptured my face lol. here i think i have the perfect shot, 5 yards away a nice bodied 4 point, and the situation completely turned on me. it sucks cuz that would have been my biggest deer to date. i keep replaying it in my head-its just frustrating. anyone ever have something like this happen to them? i hope i can hunt there again, i want to get that damn forkie.

also - it seems like it my slide on this benneli is sort of lose. im thinking thats why it might have slid back a little. anyone ever have this problem, or just me? thanks alot

Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: not a good day on stand...

That happened to my wife a couple of years ago, she had a nice doe under her stand and the trigger wouldn't pull she said. The safety was off, so she said. I figure her glove got caught behind the trigger and it wouldn't pull. I checked it when she got to me and all was fine with the gun. Its a semi auto 12 gauge Ithaca.The doe did run up to me and I got it, that just added to her frustration LOL
Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM

I pulled my bow back on a good sized doe once....now if only I had an arrow knocked...
Old 11-29-2007, 06:11 PM

my dads friend had a deer under his stand,pulled his bow back and the broadhead FELL OFF!!!!!now how does that spoil ur hunt?lol,to date i have shot/seen a deer out there,(2nd year)
Old 11-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Ive got a rotten bow story. I had 17 deer in the bean field feeding at 60 yards and getting closer when chucklehead that i am i dropped my bow and all my arrows. The worst part is the deer DID NOT SPOOK.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: yakuza wiz

I pulled my bow back on a good sized doe once....now if only I had an arrow knocked...
HAHAHAHA, thank god it wasn't a huge buck......
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 PM

I went "click" on one of the first deer I ever aimed at. I was using a .243 bolt action that was notorious for NOT loading the shell when you worked the action. You had to load the stupid gun with a light to make sure the shell went in.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 PM

heres a funny story.

I was just about to get down on the ground from my treestand after lowering my bow. My Bow was still on the straing and it was getting quite dark. All of a sudden...here comes a nice little forkie. Big bodied deer...and you should of heard me cursing under my breath. I grabbed the rope real quick and started pulling my Jennings Starmaster back up to the tree....but it hit a fricken treestep and went *BOOONNNNGGGG*. The deer looked up and i looked at him and we had a nice little eye conversation. But...fortunatly he was cruising looking for some lady love and walked into the thick stuff right beneath me. When he entered the thick stuff i got my bow the rest of the way up...knocked an arrow quickly drew back once he entered the field again. I dropped him with a spine hit and finished him off with a double lung heart shot.

Heres a picture.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM

I was using a Marlin Lever action one year using hand loads. They shot great, I got another load together and went hunting with em. Opening day i had an 8pt walk in front of me, I lined up the shot.....and YOU GUESSED it click! That buck got away from me. I took it back to the barn and pulled the hammer back and click again, third time it went off. As it turns out I seated the primers too deep and the pin was not hitting them but lightly. I have yet to make that mistake again.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

I have had that on my benelli before I always clean it and then it works fine Mine is a black eagle I use for duck hunting I know that the novas are a little hard to close sometimes. Either way that is a bad break good luck