Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need To Vent

Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Need To Vent

OK, here is the story.

About 6 months ago, a "buddy" of mine asked me if I wanted to come and hunt with him this year. I have a group of old friends that I have been hunting with, but we aren't on much land, and we usually never get more than 3 deer between 5 of us. Well, after about 4 offers, I finally told him that I would come hunt with him. BIG MISTAKE!!

He owns 80 acres, and his neighbor has 200. This got told me that his neighbor never hunts except for opening day, and we can hunt both properties. There is also some state land near him, but I told him that under no circumstances did I want to hunt state land. I would go hunt with my other group before I hunted the state land.

So I went out to his place the weekend before firearm opening day, and he told me that he was putting me on his neighbors property because he, my host, wanted to be the only one to hunt his 80 acres. I thought that it was a little rude, but figured it wasn't that big of a deal. So we set up my blind, and it seemed to be a great spot. That night, I saw a couple of dozen deer grazing in the field.

Well, I went up to his place 2 days before opening day, and he told me that his neighbor was upset about my treestand being on his property. I told him that I thought that all of that had been squared away already, and he didn't say anything. Then he assured me that he had a really good spot scouted for me(still not on his property), and we could go put my stand up. When we got there, there was already a stand there. So we started walking. He told me not to worry, that he would find me another really good spot. When we got there, I said that I thought we were on state land. He swore that we weren't. He also said that because we were so far away, that if I got a deer, he would bring out his horse and help me get it back to his place. On the way back, we ran into the farmer that allegedly owned the land. He said that it was ok for me to hunt his land.

So opening morning, I walked a mile and a half to get to my spot and and when it got light, it sounded like I was in a combat zone. There were 4 hunters within about 100 yards of me. I couldn't tell where they were, because I couldn't see more than 20 yards into the woods. At about 10:30am, I took a very large doe. I walked in for lunch, and he said that after the evening hunt, he would bring out the horse and get my deer back for me.

So I went back in for the evening hunt, and when it got dark, I called on my cell phone and asked if he were coming out soon. His exact words were, "No man, you're on your own." Then I dropped the call. I tried to call back, but no answer. So I started dragging this deer out. I made it about a mile to a farmers field(the same farmer that said that I could hunt his land), and finally couldn't drag it any more. So I moved the deer near the lane that goes back to the field, and figured that I would bring my truck back to get it.

When I got back to the house, my "host" was standing in the yard smiling at me. I asked why he left me hanging and he said excitedly, "Because I got a 7 point, and I'm not going to leave my deer out ther for the coyotes." No matter how many times I tried to explain to him that he had given me his word, he refused believe that he had done me wrong. He even told me that he couldn't believe that I wasn't happy for him. When I got in my truck to go get the deer, he climbed in with me. I told him that I didn't want, nor need his help now, he refused to get out, acting like he was going to save the day.

I got to the field and retrieved my deer. I was going to go get my tree stand, but my light battery was dead.

That night, I took a shower and went straight to bed.

The next morning, I drove to Muskegon to hit the grocery store(he had been at MY food), the bank, and run a couple of other errands. He called me on my cell phone to ask where I was, and I told him. He then said that because I didn't hunt in the morning. that he and his wife were leaving, and that I would have to get my stuff out of his house and make some other arrangements. So I went back and packed up. Then I went to the woods to get my treestand. As I was walking back, I saw him dragging his deer down then lane to his house. When I got to the house, my deer was laying outside of the poll barn and there was another deer in its place.

I loaded up my deer and called my other hunting buddies. That told me to get there as fast as I could and to only stop for beer.

The rest of my trip was great.

Am I being over sensitive about this, or was my "friend" being a real jerk?

What I din't mention in the story above were the 3 UNTAGGED bucks hanging in his pole barn. I'm still not sure if I should report him for that.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Default RE: Need To Vent

Thay dude is not a friend, sounds like maybe a jackass ex-friend in my book.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:12 PM

The other thing that I forgot to mention is this:

He bought a new gun 3 days before firearm season and when he went to sight it in, it was all over the place. I tried, and so did his stepson in-law, and we couldn't put 2 rounds next to each other on the paper...even at 25 yards. We tried with open sights and a scope.

Well, since I had brought an extra rifle, I offered to let him borrow it, and gave him a box of ammo. On opening morning, he used it to kill a spike. When I came in from the morning hunt, he started telling me how much my gun sucked because it didn't have a scope on it. He said that he could have made a couple of other shots in the morning, but because I didn't have a scope, he couldn't get enough light to line up the sights.

When I was yelling at him about not helping me drag the deer out, he said, "If you're big enough to shoot a deer, you should be big enough to drag it out of the woods. Later that night, he asked me if I wanted to clean the gun that I had let him use. I said, "No, but you can clean it." He then said that he wasn't about to clean my gun. I told him, "If you're big enough to shoot a gun, you should be big enough to clean it."

Needless to say, my gun still wasn't cleaned when I left. In fact, he put it back in the gun sock, and left it by my other stuff...still dirty.

I have to admit that I thought about pouring some kerosene on all of his bait piles before I left, but I figured that would be something that he would do.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:18 PM

That guy needs to shake his head.On the other hand you know what you have in your other hunting buds sounds like a good group of guy's or they just needed more beer.LOLYou hunt with enough people you are bound to find some jerks.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like a jerk but you must forgive I know its hardbut you cant hold a grudge its alright its all over go back to your deer camp and relax among real friends
Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

That guy sounds like one of the biggest douche rockets I have ever come across. Give him a wide berth, he's no friend and will screw you as soon as look at you.

with friends like that who needs enemas!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

With a friend like that you don't need enemies. Forget about him.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: bayou_buckslayer

sounds like a jerk but you must forgive I know its hardbut you cant hold a grudge its alright its all over go back to your deer camp and relax among real friends
I have to say that I was pretty fired up when it all happened, but now I'm just astounded. To tell the truth, I'm not really holding a grudge. I won't forget how he treated me, and I certainly won't give him the chance for a repeat performance, but I don't wish him any ill will. He is the one who has to live with himself. Although I bet he still doesn't see anything wrong with how he treated me.

I have been friends with the other group of guys for almost 30 years. That means that we were all very small children together. Next year I will be hunting with them again.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like he might be related to a former buddy of mine. A few years back I had a buddy that hadn't hunted for years and asked me to take him out. Most of the time I perfer to hunt alone but I thought why not, maybe some company would be good. So I lent him a gun/ammo, some camo, drove him out (didn't get any gas money), set him up in a stand, pushed a buck out of the bush for him (nice 5x5, scored low 130's), skinned and butchered the deer for him and when I called him for the next weekend for the company he said he couldn't go because his wife needed him to drive her to a bake sale. The next year when he asked to be taken out I said sure I'll give you a call. I never did and he got the message.Take advantage ofwith me once, shame on you.Take advantage ofwith me twice, isn't going to happen. Hope you learn the lesson as quick. God protect me from my friends for I can take care of my enemies.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

That guy needs to shake his head.
No, he just needs to squeeze hard around his neck.

Quick Reply: Need To Vent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.