Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need To Vent

Old 11-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need To Vent

Im pretty spooked about hunting with strangers. Ive got a select group of guys I hunt with arround the USA and we would do almost anything for each other. We share the hardships as well as the good times. Even if we come back empty handed, we are always successfull at having a good time!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 AM

NEVER hunt someone else's land without written permission! When he told you that you could hunt the neighbors land you should have asked to meet him at the very least.

I wouldn't loan a gun to someone I didn't know that well. Sounds crappy, but I can't afford to lose one. From the way the guys sounds I wouldn't have wanted him to clean my gun, he would probably screw it up for you. I would much rather clean my own gun, that way I know it gets done right. As a matter of fact when I do loan someone a gun I tell them to not bother cleaning it, because I enjoy it. It is a lie, but I would rather do it myself. I probably have two friends that I would let have complete run of my weapons, and then it probably still wouldn't "feel" right. I have one that could just come in my house and take one if he really needed it.

You need to go back to your buddies, tell them what a loser this guy was and what good friends they are. Sometimes it takes something like this to see just how good you have it.

I have had a few offers to hunt others land with them and politely denied because I knew our personalities didn't mesh.

The guy you are talking about should be beaten in my opinion.

You should also look his neighbor up and apologize and tell him what happened. You never know, ifnhe owns that much land he might respect you and offer to let you hunt there... legally

Paul
Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 AM

I did end up meeting the neighbor...and apologizing to him. He was very cool about it and didn't seem to be upset with me about the situation. I told him that I never would have put my stand there if the other guy hadn't told me that it was 100% ok. He was very understanding.

As far as lending a gun goes, I felt that since I was going to be there and I had an extra gun, it was the friendly thing to do.

In the end, I have to chalk this up to a lesson learned. My real friends are the best friends that I have ever had, and they understood completely about why I hunted with this other idiot. The offer to hunt that much land with so little pressure was a good offer, until it changed a week before hunting season. The lesson I learned from this? If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have met far too many people like this. I certainly would not hunt with them. Hunting time is valuable time to me. For that reason, I spend it with people who are valuable to me. I would choose another hunting companion. It sounds like this guy's two dominant qualities are selfishness and rudeness.