Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in the rain?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 PM

Default RE: Hunting in the rain?

the best place to hunt when it rains is thickets,srubs,and places that are pretty thick.they move quit a bit in thick stuff like that during rain or bad wheather 8-)
Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM

I hunted all day yesterday on a cold, wet day. Started sleeting about 15 minutes before daylight (actually, daylight was delayed until sunrise with the heavyclouds), rained pretty steady until about noon. I set up a pop-up in a pipeline right-a-way through some trees and stayed there from noon until 6pm. Saw more deer than I've seen all season. During that 6 hours, I never went more than 30 minutes without seeing deer.

I guess it depends on your climate, but down here in Texas, when it's a cold rain, those deer need to get up and move occasionally. No way they are aclimated yet since it was close to 90 last Tuesday.

Decided not to hunt today and am regretting it. It was pouring down when I got up at 4am, so I went back to bed. Quit raining around 9am and just started again. I'm sure the mid-day was very busy today.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM

I have seen a lot of Big bucks running does in rain. Killed this buck in rain while chasing doe a few years ago.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather not hunt in rain but I don't avoid it. If it's a day I have for hunting and it's raining then I'm hunting.
There are plenty of positives... it's quiet for moving around, your scent can be held down, the noise of the rain can cover little noises you make ... and a day in the rain hutning is better than a sunny day that you have to work!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM

I killed 2 in the rain last thursday on a powerline. I saw 5 in all. Nobody else at our club saw anything. They probably didnt know how to act in it, as little as we have had this year. Oh yeah, on a sidenote, I also saw 16 turkey.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I love hunting in the rain, mostly still hunting. But if it is raining and there is a chance that it will let up I always go sneak into my stand because as soon as it stops the deer get up and move, around here anyways. I have seensomeof thebiggest bucks in our area moving in daylight afteror durring a rain.