Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting

Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Default deer hunting

as u may no deer season just ended im 13 and this was my 5th year deer hunting i had buck feaver i got my first one this year a small button buck
do u think i will get over buck fever.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Default RE: deer hunting

idk but i have the same thing. i get real shaky and excited
Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

You will learn to control yourself. But that feeling you get is the whoel reason I still hunt. It is a good fealing. Congrats on your first deer.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever get over that feeling, it might be time to reconsider taking up another hobby. I still get a little shaky when shooting at a large buck, as probably most of us do and i've killed plenty of bucks. Heck, my dad admitted to getting a little case of buck fever every now and then and he is 52 years old and killed over 100 bucks. Congrats on your first buck, i killed my first deer when i was 13 too.

Enjoy that feeling and hope it last forever....
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

There are all kinds of "buck fever", and many degrees of it. I've read about guys who levered all the bullets out of their rifle, thinking they were actually shooting at the deer - then couldn't figure out why the deer didn't go down. Fact was, all the unfired bullets lay beside them on the ground.
Usually, buck fever is merely the increasing of the heart rate because adrenelin is being pumped into the bloodstream due to the excitement of seeing a buck. Heck - even a doe, if a person thinks a buck may be nearby.
I have been deer hunting for over 35 years and have harvested many deer. Last week when a doe came into view about 75 yards away and I was scoping her out for antlers, I couldn't help but notice that my heart was beating rapidly even though I had been sitting for 2 hours!
Watch some of the TV hunting shows and you'll see that even the "pro's" usually are very excited after the shot. "Give me a minute to catch my breath!" "Oh, wow, that was great!" etc.
I'd say that what you experienced was normal. I've found it helpful to talk to myself a little at that time, take a deep breath (don't forget to let it out and keep breathing!), then concentrate on the spot you want to shoot - not on the antlers.
I guess if deer hunting ever ceases to excite me I'll quit (but I don't think it will happen)

Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM

There are people that will live a lifetime and not experience the pure ectasy of an adrenaline rush like the one you get with buck fever. I'm an adrenaline junky and I can tell you if I ever losebuck fever I'm gonna put away the gun and buy a parachute.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM

Everyone gets bucky fever....i was teh same age the first time i shot AT a deer with my bow and it was a 6 pointer and i to got bucky fever....My dad told me that everyone gets buck fever....the only advice i can give you is that when a deer is in range dont look at the rack and keep your breething under control...and focus where you want to hit the deer dont worry about how big it is
Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

You do learn to control it better, but the rush, the heart beating fast, the shaky hands after the shot and the euphoric feeling that turns you into a blithering idiot for a few minutes you will probably never lose.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first buck. It only gets better from here.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM

No not really. I have been hunting for 3 years and each year I have gotten a buck. My first was a button buck as well. But one thing I have noticed is that my buck fever is not as bad any more. The more bucks you see the less buck fever you will get. But don't worry you will still have a huge adrenaline rush.