Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Missouri Rut question

Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Missouri Rut question

I live and hunt in the southeast portion of the state. we had a late freeze this spring which killed off all the leaves and nuts, fruit on the trees. The acorns finally started falling late but their are still more leaves on the trees than there should be. Also, all season myhunting buddies and i have not seen a buck hot after a doe yet. My question is that since the season and weather has been late this year, is it possible that the rut may be a little behind as well?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Missouri Rut question

Haven't seen a Buck with a swelled neck yet.Around here the leaves are just getting where you can see.

But its too late for me being as my season is over.

big rockpile
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Up in NE MO (near kirksville), the deer are in full rut now. The one I shot last Saturday had a very swollen neck and was hot on trail of a doe (from what I saw before I blasted him). However, it was probably the first or second day of the full rut last Saturday. If it hasn't started where you are at by now, it will very soon.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

I live in northwest Missouri and we had A late freeze as well opening weekend of firearms season we saw alot of bucks and does but no bucks chasing or even intrested in the does chad
Old 11-14-2007, 05:29 PM

we hunt just east of St. Louis and have yet to see any real good rutting activity... however the bucks on our farm are starting to move a lot more.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM

thanks for the input. me andahuntingbuddyboth killed 8-pointers opening day of gun season and neither neck was swollen. Im hoping its kicks in in time when bow season opens back up. Thanks again for the help.