Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting - any advice???

Old 11-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Default New to hunting - any advice???

My husband got me started hunting about 2 years ago ( squirrels only). This year we have decided to try deer. He has never killed a deer and of course neither have I. Does anyone have any helpfull tips??? I have been doing alot of research on the internet but I feel that word of mouth is always better.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to hunting - any advice???

Alot of it is trial by error, just get out there, learn deer movements, and deer reactions then you can start asking direct questions about what you seen, why you seen it...etc. Hunting videos are a "generic" way to learn the "basics" also. Good Luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:09 PM

Yeah, read the post titled New Guy, There's a lot of good info. I just posted there so it should be at the top of the list. Good Luck
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Its alittle late to start but you've been squirrel hunting so I'll assume you've already been scouting. Pick out your locations and get your stands in or just make some ground blinds. Look for signs like scrapes, rubs, and bedding areas in the area that you'll be hunting. Thats a good place to set up.

As far as weapons go you have your bow, or centerfire rifle (i'd recommend either the 243 or the 30-06 for deer. Although alot of people like a good 30-30), Shotguns (20, 16, or 12 gauge are all great. If you've got a smooth bore shot gun then go with rifled slugs and if its rifled then try sabots), muzzleloader (My personal favorite. For a beginner I'd go for a 50 cal but 45 and 54 caliber guns can be found. You can get a good muzzleloader and all the supplies for under $200. Go to the Black Powder Chatroom for advice there), and finally Handguns. The important thing to do when selecting a firearm for deer is that you look at 1. what the state regulations allow, 2. what you will be using it for and 3. how many seasons you can hunt.

As I said before, you are starting really late for this year. If I were you then I would talk to anyone that I knew who deer hunted and then ask them if you tag along and learn. If you have any questions then just post em and you'll get answers
Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Sounds good so far. Gun season in Alabama opens this Saturday. As far as guns he has a Winchester 30-30 and I have a Marlin (Glenfield) 30-30. We are also leasing some land to hunt.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

You'll be fine with 30-30 's. I'd find a good place to set up and there you go. One bit of advice is before you go out there look up directions for field dressing a deer. If you haven't ever done it before it can be quite a mess. Other than that wear your orange use a safety harness while in the tree. Have fun, relax, and enjoy nature.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

[ul][*]Learn to hold still. Very still. Avoiding movement is a key to avoiding being detected by deer.[*]Be careful not to work up a sweat getting to your stand. (You'll be very cold once you quit moving around if you get all wet this way.)[*]Be sure to dress warmer for the hunt than you would need to be if you were planning to be active and moving around. (Add layers once you get to your hunting location if needed.)[*]If you get cold easily, consider air-activated hand and/or foot warmers. They're worth their weight in gold.[*]Watch a video on Youtube.com on how to field dress a deer if you've never seen it before.[*]Bring a knife for field dressing.[*]Plan to be in your stand for lengthy stretches of time--the longer per sit, the better. If you only stay 20 minutes at a time, you'll unlikely ever get anything.[*]Use your ears as much as your eyes (which means keeping them uncovered, weather permitting). Deer can be ridiculously sneaky. You'll be surprised how often you'll spot them nearby without having heard them approach. And you'll be amazed at how close a deer you've been listening to will get before you can spot him/her.[*]Basically, approach with the mentality that your quarry has better eyesight, better smell, and better hearing than you do. Minimize their ability to use those things to detect you and then use your advantages against them (intelligence in picking a spot, ability to hold very still for a long time to achieve a goal...)
[/ul]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Well given the fact that neither one of you haveharvested a deer or even seen one (of course i am making the assumption that he didn't hunt deer either) it is not an easy hunt. Some people really hunt a lifetime to get thier
first shooter deer. Some, on the other hand, go out on thier first hunt and drop a trophy. So knowledge and luck are all part of this quest. You said you have a lease to hunt on this year. Is this a proven lease for producing deer? Are you hunting alone or is there a membership to draw knowledge about the property? Can you shoot basically any deer you see or are there minimum requirements? Do you have designated areas for you and your husband on the property, or can you roam anywhere? I could keep asking questions all night long.
Bottom line is, if you don't know then go in together and just sit down and enjoy the sunrise together sitting on the ground being still. As the forest begins to wake up, start to listen for squirrels barking and someone watch that direction. If you hear crows hawking, one of you watch that direction. Your guns are fine! Start reading everything you can and become a sponge for information.
God Luck!
Eric Stacy
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all of the advice, it helped. We went out Friday and checked things out to see where we wanted to go on Saturday. We saw ALOT of tracks and some rubs and scrapes. We also discovered a creek running right through it. Well, we both picked out our spots for morning.

Saturday morning came and we got settled in. About an hour and a half into it I spotted something crossing my path towards the left about 60 yrds away. Not a few seconds later 2 does went running back to the right. I waited a little bit and decided to move in that direction. I actually went past it and found me a good place to sit. About 20 minutes later I hear something coming from my left (was my right before I moved) I looked over and here come about 6 does walking together. Needless to say I got excited. But I kept in mind all of the things I have been reading about "Buck Fever". I cocked the hammer back and got into position and waited and watched. At one point they stopped but there were too many trees in the way. I continued to wait and watch. They moved around somemore and stopped again, still too many trees in my way. Something finally spooked them and they all took off running.

I was definately broken hearted but that is okay, I know they are there and I know where they are. I just have to figure out a better spot so that maybe next time I will have a good shot at them.

Congrats to everyone who did get one this weekend. I will get mine soon (I hope).
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IndyHunter83

Its alittle late to start but you've been squirrel hunting so I'll assume you've already been scouting. Pick out your locations and get your stands in or just make some ground blinds. Look for signs like scrapes, rubs, and bedding areas in the area that you'll be hunting. Thats a good place to set up.

As far as weapons go you have your bow, or centerfire rifle (i'd recommend either the 243 or the 30-06 for deer. Although alot of people like a good 30-30), Shotguns (20, 16, or 12 gauge are all great. If you've got a smooth bore shot gun then go with rifled slugs and if its rifled then try sabots), muzzleloader (My personal favorite. For a beginner I'd go for a 50 cal but 45 and 54 caliber guns can be found. You can get a good muzzleloader and all the supplies for under $200. Go to the Black Powder Chatroom for advice there), and finally Handguns. The important thing to do when selecting a firearm for deer is that you look at 1. what the state regulations allow, 2. what you will be using it for and 3. how many seasons you can hunt.

As I said before, you are starting really late for this year. If I were you then I would talk to anyone that I knew who deer hunted and then ask them if you tag along and learn. If you have any questions then just post em and you'll get answers

Quick Reply: New to hunting - any advice???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.