Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the smallest patch of land you have hunted?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default What's the smallest patch of land you have hunted?

I'm looking at a house on the outskirts of a small Oklahoma town (no more than 500-600 residents) that has 10 heavily wooded acres behind it and a couple of fields that butt up against it on the east and west. One of the fields is cultivated while the other is just grass. I'm thinking this would present some pretty good hunting options for one person to hunt but I've never tried to hunt such a small area.

Any one here have any experience hunting something like this?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the smallest patch of land you have hunted?

My Dad hunts my brothers 10 acres here in IL,it's basically a really wide and long hedge row, and the first year he killed a 13pt non-typical off of it. So yes, deer do use it, and if the one by you has never been hunted, there is prob. a dominate buck living there.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Got 5 acres I hunt and have had very good luck on it.

big rockpile
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

If I might add.I owned a Hundred acres.But other than one season,I killed all my Deer out of one Stand the whole time I lived there.As matter fact I could kill Deer out of that Stand all day long.

Just a matter of being in the right spot.

big rockpile
Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies. Just for the fun of it I've loaded up an arial view for you to look at.

The land is outlined in yellow. The bluebox is not for sale , and the red dot is where the house is.

3rd street does not extend all the way to the land, I just drew in the additional line as a reference point for my wife.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/vt700guy/untitled.jpg
Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

I have one honey hole that is only 14 acres and it has a house on it. It is all small trees and brush except for the owners yard. It just happens to be a funnel between 2 big patches of timber on either side of the 2 roads that border the property. I've taken 7 deer in 4 years off of the place, including a couple of 130 class 8 pointers. Location. Location. Location.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hi I'm a new guy here but after looking at your map I'd say that land is very huntable...Especially the back right corner where it forms a natural funnel for deer to travel through...I have a 14 acre peice I hunt that is difficult due to wind directions but there are times it pays off well.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I once hunted a 3 acre patch late in the bow season in the snow. Me and another guy set up on 2 tracks we seen and i got lucky that evening an zipped a doe.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Squirrels on 2 1/2 acres in my grandparents back yard in Fairfax county, Virginia.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Last summer we bought a place with 10 wooded acres. It is used somewhat, but not alot by deer. I've seen several different bucks come through and a few does too. Its definately huntable but you shouldn't expect great hunting. Last year I went the first six times and didn't see a single deer! It got pretty depressing, but it got better later in the year once modern gun came and went. But at my Grandmas, there is a 6 or 7 acre patch of ground that is good for hunting, almost always see deer, but it borders several hundred acres of prime deer habitat also. It really does boil down to location. We put in a 1/4 acre clover and oat foodplot this year. I've noticed a decent amount of deer activity this year. A few rubs and scrapes so they are there. I think just about any place with decent cover and a little browse or food will attract deer but at what times of the day is another thing. I've only hunted it one afternoon this year. Probably wont hunt it more than 6 times all year anyway.

good luck

Quick Reply: What's the smallest patch of land you have hunted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.