Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cover scents and advice

Old 11-04-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Cover scents and advice

Hi all ,
New to the site so first off hello!
I'd like to know what kind of cover scents you think work pretty well, weather it be conventional or some homemade "secret sauce". I live in WI and am trying to figure out what to use during the upcoming gun season, Nov. 17th is opening day (will the rut still be going on?).
I'll be honest and tell you I've been hunting for over 25 years and have never shot an antleredbuck and it's getting pretty old! I have shot deer and have actually had pretty good success ridding the woods of antlerless deer weather it be does or antlerless/yearling bucks. This year I'm going to try something/anything different and try tohave some success! Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cover scents and advice

Welcome to the forum!
I use Border Crossing Scents Deer Herd in a bottle cover scent. I think it is the best cover scent I have ever used and I have tried many different brands over the last 20 years.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Spike

As for myself, I prefer to concentrate more on hunting the wind. If the wind is in your favor, you've nothing to worry about. If it's not, cover scent may or may not help.
A few things to consider, if your going to hunt up a tree, don't use a scent of something that is'nt normally a tree climber. Don't use scent from something not normally in the area you hunt. For instance, red fox urine in areas where only grey fox live.
Personally, if I use anything at all, I will step in a fresh cow paddy.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like using red fox cover scent or musky earth. I also will use some wood smoke if I am in an area that commonly has smoke from farm houses or hunting camps drifting around..Like bgcorn stated something the deer are familiar with..
Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Spike

I wildlife research center's scent killer. I try to stay away from anything with an odor, just in case you get a spooky deer. I also use scent-loks baselayers. When I do use doe pee, I setup scent bombs around my perimeter.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just spray down with Hunters Specialties Fresh Earth, and hunt the wind. Remember the one thing that will stink the most is your gun, and most people down squirt it down, at least I don't. So really, it doesn't even matter, just make sure your set up with the wind in your favor, and if all posible, the sun at your back. As for shooting a buck, don't shoot the doe first off, hold off and wait, chances are she's gonna be trailed by some buck looking for some loving. Watch her to see if she's looking behind her, if she constantly looks back, be prepared, she's got her boyfriend with her, and the good ole boyfriend always lets his ladies go first.