Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattlesnakes

Old 11-01-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Rattlesnakes

[:@] Hey does anyone ever run into problems with rattlesnakes while on the hunt? I almost got bit this season, now im thinking about getting a good pair of snake boots while deer hunting. can snakes strike higher than the knee ( im like 6'0 tall)? Give me some info, thanks!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 PM

Default RE: Rattlesnakes

In my opinion a pair of snake chaps would be more reliable especially if you hunt in an area where you are walking up and down thru the rocks, a snake could be on the rocks and be higher than your knees. An added bonus to the chaps is they are cheaper than boots and keep the thorns out of your legs when wading thru the brush. Plus all of the snake boots I have ever tried on were uncomfortable and a PITA to lace and unlace everytime you took them on and off. They do make pull on styles as well, just never gave them a try. After having given my opinion, I have to admit I don't use anything have hunted and hiked all across Texas and never seen a live rattler, they are obviosly there guess I have been lucky. (I'll probably get bit tomorrow)
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 AM

here in south ga we run into rattlers all the time. we have a corn snake that looks like a rattler if you dont know the difference too. ive been bit while workin on a farm. not fun... but i would go with the boots and the chaps because that offers you protection in the front and the back. you can smell a female rattler from a good 10 yards away when shes ready to breed. smells like a dead critter but sweater. stay away from downed logsand thick brush areas where they may be. if you know they might be there, make a lot of noise goin through the brush. thats my advice. i carry a pistol with me at all times and wear the boots. you dont know the rattlers are there most of the time till your right up on them
Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've stepped on 2 rattlers this year so far. i bought a pair of the Redhead 18" Bayou Snake Boots from Bass Pro at the end of last season. they work, one of the rattlers hit my boot but did not penetrate.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 AM

I killed two last year near my stand. Luckily I have not seen any yet this year though. I did see a non-venomous snake, but I don’t kill those because some (king snakes) eat the venomous snakes. I do have the knee high Rocky snake boots but I’ve yet to have a snake strike at them. I just think it’s a good precaution to wear them unit it gets real cold. I don’t like the plastic “armor” like things that go over your boots. They are bulky and uncomfortable in my opinion. Also, It’s been my experience that if you just really watch where you’re going, especially around rocks that you will see them before you step on them. Rattlers also don’t seem to be aggressive. Unlike the cotton mouth which will intentional move towards you. Rattlers seem to just want to be left alone and will try to avoid a confrontation.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Common sense...don't stick your hands under log piles or in holes, don't sit on rocks and logs without looking around first, don't walk in cattle trails etc. I have lived and hunted around rattle snakes my whole life...were I'm from (NE) they get big...no, not as big as TX but a 4-5 ft snake is nothing to scoff at...the good news is their not those hyper little crappers they have in KS, short fat and meaner than...well a snake. If you are lucky enough to see one, get it into 2 or 3 inch pieces, bread it and fry it in hot oil...sweet white meat that's a little chewy...just hold it by the back bone and peel the meat of the ribs with your teeth...YUM!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

About 5 years ago I was at my front door,felt something on my Boot.It was a Rattler,he was getting ready to strike again I put the hurt on his head.

Both my Dogs have been bit.

big rockpile