Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just some simple questions..??

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just some simple questions..??

well i get alot of different answers for these few things so i figured i would ask the majority and see what the verdict is.
1. If you Shoot a BullsEye at 25 yards its what 1 1/2 inches high at a hundred....or what? and also what is it at 150 200?
2. When you are shooting a rifle(mine is a 30.06 but i dont think it matters in this case) but when you are about to pull the trigger do you...exhale....inhale...or hold your breath.
The other day i was sighting in my rifle and my uncle said it was 1 inch at 100 yards and his son said it was 2....its not like it matters but it would be good to no....and i never inhale or whatever when i shoot...which is prolly why im such a bad shot my first shot was a bulls eye....second was 8 inches left......3rd was 8 inches right and my last didnt even hit.....there was a lil wind but it wouldnt affect that.....which are you suppost to do?
3. plus you are suppost to gently pull the trigger....right? i jerk it....all these factors are prolly the reason i havnt got a deer the past 3 years[&:]...haha if anyone got what i was asking out of all the rumblin and mumblin any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default RE: Just some simple questions..??

1. It depends on your mainly on your cartridge. All you have to do is look at the ballistics chart on your ammo box or the company web site. They usually will show you a ballistic arc that will tell you close enough were your bullet will be at what distances.

2. Personally I breath normal (see below)

3. Squeeze the trigger with the pad of your finger. Don't jerk, just a solid steady pressure. You almost want the discharge to surprise you. Hence why I breath normally, I try not to anticpate the shot. A gunsmith can do wonders for your trigger pulling issues by taking it off of "lawyer" weight and smoothing it.

For me I work on smoothing out the whole firing process. From the intial load till I pull the trigger. I think if you work the action like a furie and throw the gun to your shoulder. Your gonna pull too hard and shoot poorly. I guess what I'm tryin to say is you don't have to rush to be fast.

The biggest thing is not to pressure yourself. Sighting in weapon of choice is one of the best parts of hunting. Relax and enjoy it. I've never meant a person that can't be a good shot with patience and pratice.

Good Luck
Craig

Old 10-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

I work really hard on my timing for shot. When I am ready to take a shot, I

(1) make sure you are in a good shooting position (natural point of aim)
(2) breath in, breath out -- during that cycle I adjust my grip and remove the safety
(3) breath in, breath out a little, hold it, squeeze the trigger, breath out

When I shoot my Savage with the AccuTrigger, I depress the little trigger at the beginning of the 2nd breath out cycle and increase the pressure when I hold my breathing.

I do not like to breath when I shoot because my chest moves and that changes the sight. Also make sure you do not hold your breathing for too long or you will start shaking.

If for some reason I cannot take the shot when I am suppose to, I restart the process at (2). I assume you are still in a good shooting position. I never do:

breath in, breath out
breath in, breath out a little, hold it, don't squeeze the trigger, breath out
breath in, breath out a little, hold it, squeeze the trigger, breath out

Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

How I sight my rifle depends where and what I shoot. For my 30-06 I susually sight it 1.5" to 2" high at 100 yards. That gives me a zero at about 200 yards and allows me to shoot anything less than 250 yards away (assuming a 5" diameter kill zone).

The maximum point blank range is 324 yards assuming a 5" radius (10" diameter) kill zone. To achieve that I need to sight 4" high at 100 yards.

In real life I will never take a shot at a game farther than 250 yards with a 30-06. Most of my outings are in the Northeast and we usually do not shoot long range. So zeroing at 100 yards would give me a 4" drop at 200 yards which is still OK for deer hunting.