Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground blind in bear country

Old 10-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default Ground blind in bear country

Last week I was scouting my new place to hunt which is a bunch of woods behind a large soybean field. I have to park on the field side, so I have to walk across the soybean field. Well I saw a path that crosses the field which the wildlife uses to travel. Once I reached the wood line I saw some beautiful scrapes and rubs, I was so pumped up. Well anyway, as I was walking down the edge of field a freaking black bear and myself scared the crap out of each other. My question is, do you think it will be safe to hunt out of a ground blind? I have climber set up, but I would also like to use my new blind if it is safe. Opinions please.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ground blind in bear country

You should be alright. They arent normally aggressive towards humans unless its a sow with cubs, wounded, problem bear that was released, etc.

Oh, and dont hunt on days that end with Y.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reaction the bear had was typical of their responce to humans. They want absolutely nothing to do with you. We hunt in heavy bear country and have no problem with them.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:43 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replys. I have been told that bears have poor eyesight and have a great nose. I guess that I am spooking myself, I was worried that I would walk up on the bear while I was walking to my blind or stand.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

And dont forget, you have a gun, the bear can only get you once they are in your face
Old 10-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

should be safe! i just hope your using a gun instead of a bowj/k should be real safe! like everyone else is saying, black bears will avoid you unless there is some reason they feel they cant get away!