Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Suggestions on WARM clothing

Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Suggestions on WARM clothing

Under ArmourColdGear......'nuff said.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lethalconnection

I find that for your feet you need a good pair of winter boots with thinsulate in them and i wear a pair of poly-wool socks(polypropylene moves moisture away from the foot) and another pair of just wool socks and as BuckRogers said tape some of those hand warmers to your feet(that is if you are sitting all day if you are walking you shouldnt need them). As for pants and jacket all i did is buy Carhartt winter jacket and overalls and they block all wind and they are super warm then i just buy thin camo and put it over top of that. As for hands i usually have a bulky warm glove on my left hand(non shootin hand) and for my shootin hand i just have a thin wool glove on and hand warmers in my pocket. My head i usually wear a toque/beanie and a a hood from a hoody im wearing but i always carry a balaclava in my pack in case the wind really picks up. Under all my clothing i wear Helly/Hansen Poly-Pro Thermal Long Johns. This combination has kept me nice and toasty warm in -35 weather. But the best thing is the Poly-pro clothing, it keeps you dry and warm and its thin and lite, but it does come at a cost.

Hard to argue with anyone from Alberta about staying warm
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 AM

My dad bought me a wind stopper for christmas a couple years ago ,that thing is gold.Iam looking into a pair of the paints.I use the sweater for fishing in the fall aswell running down the lake at 70mph and never get cold.You pay big at the time but they are well worth it.Dad got them at Bass Pro.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Last year got to us a little bit too...warm 50ish weather to 5 degrees with strong winds four days later. This year I'm gonna pick up some heat factory gear off of basspro.com
I haven't worn any of it so no opinions, but it may be something you want to consider.

Here's a link to their socks with pockets to put heat factory warmers...they have mittens, hats, gaitors to cover the face among other items, too.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Remember a lot of your body heat is lost through the head. Get warm head cover. I also like to keep my feet warm.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it depends on how you hunt. I hunt mostly from a tree stand, with no wind break. The one thing I have found from my forty years of hunting is that if my feet, hands, and neck are warm, the rest of my body will beOK.When it is really cold(below 25 degrees for me)I wear insulatedcoveralls overthree or four other layers under that, rubber boots with 1000 grams of thinsulate and a fleece lined face mask. I like my layers to be relatively thin so that as it heats up and cools down during the day, I can take off layers and then put them back on.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleganydeerslayer

Does anyone use militry clothing?
Yes, but only when it comes to WOOL!!!

Whatever you do, stay away from cotton in any type of clothing expected to fight the cold.

Wool is the best overall material for any layer but Ialso like the poly-pro for under garments (not as itchy)
Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: lethalconnection

I find that for your feet you need a good pair of winter boots with thinsulate in them and i wear a pair of poly-wool socks(polypropylene moves moisture away from the foot) and another pair of just wool socks and as BuckRogers said tape some of those hand warmers to your feet(that is if you are sitting all day if you are walking you shouldnt need them). As for pants and jacket all i did is buy Carhartt winter jacket and overalls and they block all wind and they are super warm then i just buy thin camo and put it over top of that. As for hands i usually have a bulky warm glove on my left hand(non shootin hand) and for my shootin hand i just have a thin wool glove on and hand warmers in my pocket. My head i usually wear a toque/beanie and a a hood from a hoody im wearing but i always carry a balaclava in my pack in case the wind really picks up. Under all my clothing i wear Helly/Hansen Poly-Pro Thermal Long Johns. This combination has kept me nice and toasty warm in -35 weather. But the best thing is the Poly-pro clothing, it keeps you dry and warm and its thin and lite, but it does come at a cost.
If you can stay warm in -35 celcius, then you have the right combo.
I find Helly Henson is AWESOME gear, especially the thermal under wear. Buy 'em they are great!!!
Oh and start with good boots. If your feet get cold it don't matter what you have over the rest of your body, YOU WILL BE COLD!
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Great tips indeed.

Looking like Underarmor Coldgear but still haven't finished researching. Any suggestions/opinions on these products. The Underarmor are different types of Coldgear. Does anyone have any other tips/links to share? I have no allegiance to any product other than I want lightweight and warm. I suspect everyone else does too.

http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=1&dept_id=7&coll _id=1136&pf_id=1004604

http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=1&dept_id=1&coll _id=1101&pf_id=1000592

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0047411922068a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=fleece+underwear&N= 4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nt y=1&Ntt=fleece+underwear&noImage=0

Thanks for suggestions and opinions.

Acetyl
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 PM

That Under Armour is great stuff, BUT. I'm sure not everybody has this problem. I have dry skin anyway and when I wear UA it makes it bad worse becuse of the wicking properties of it. Before I use it I put on a scentless lotion.Keeps me really warm though!

Quick Reply: Suggestions on WARM clothing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.