Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.410 shotgun for five year old girl?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .410 shotgun for five year old girl?

Anyone know of a good little .410 for a five year old girl? I was thinking of a break-down double barrel.
Thanks,
KP
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 AM

Default RE: .410 shotgun for five year old girl?

new england arms has a good one, just don't get a light weight one for her, good luck
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

The double barrel will probably help out to reduce the kick. Should be a perfect one for her.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

How big is she? My boy turned 5 in July. He's 3'10" and 52lbs. He started shooting a little H&R pump .22 but even that is too long a length of pull. I'd like to get him out squirrel hunting but don't know what he could use. He can't hit anything with the .22 because the gun doesn't fit him.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Problem with a lot of long guns of any kind and kids is they just don't fit them well. If I was bound and determined to get a kid that age their own gun I'd get something inexpensive and have it customized by a good gunsmith just for them. When they outgrow it I'm sure you could easily sell it to a like minded parent looking for the same thing for a kid of similar age and size. New England I'm hearing make a good quality firearm that won't cost and arm and a leg.

Unfortunately, they just don't make firearms for the one's under 12 years old.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.roguerifle.com/Rifles.htm

check that site out! they dont have anything in the way of shotguns but they do have small rifles for young kids. the overall length of them is 30 inches! my grandpa just bought one for my little cousin just turned 5 hes 3' 7" and 38 pounds (ya hes really small) and it fits him! and they are pretty straight shooting rifles!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply guys. There's a gun shop not too far away that has some really cute little .410 double barrel breakdowns that I saw a few years ago. I guess I'm going to have to make a trip down there.

I was going after the shotgun over the rifle because of her personality. She is the type that won’t sit still. So if she’s going to be hunting, most likely she’ll be jumping something up and taking a moving shot whether it be rabbit, squirrel or etc. She’s also expressed interest in duck and goose hunting, so I’m going with the .410. My 10 year old son is a pretty big boy. He’s about 5’ tall and 115 lbs and this will be the first year that his youth 870 will fit right, so I’ll be in need of a really small .410 for my daughter. I’m not sure how tall she is, but she’s average size and thin. Tough as nails though!

I’ll post what I found after I make the trip to the gun shop (green top in Ashland VA) in case anyone else ever inquires about the same topic.
Thanks again,
KP
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

One idea might be to check and see if you can get a replacement buttstock for the gun you're considering. If so then you could cut one down to fit her length of pull now then replace it with the regular stock once she gets older. That way she could keep her first gun and it would fit her when she's grown. I know H&R has replacement stocks. I've customized a few.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 AM

I think that it is great that you are getting your kids involved in Hunting. My son, who will be 5 in December will be walking the quail field, and squirrel woods in November.
I have to ask what all is she going to use it for. I have been told by many that a .410 is not always a good choice for a beginner shotgun because of the low number of shot per shell. It is harder to hunt with. Might be easier to shoot, but harder to hit, or kil anything. That can be discouraging for first time hunters/kids. I am sure, for rabbits or squirrels, you should be OK, but, I woulnd't suggest a .410 for a beginner for duck or goose. I'm not sure I would suggest that for anybody. I might suggest looking into a 20 guage and use REALLY light target loads. it will have a little more recoil than the 20, but if managable for her, she will enjoy it mch more.