Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Real Deer Hunting??????

Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Real Deer Hunting??????

I was watching the OUTDOOR CHANNEL this morning and I finally had enough. I thought I was a trophy hunter before I started watching these shows. I am happy with 130" bucks or higher. I can't stand this 160" deer but he's not old enough so don't shoot stuff. My question is how many hunters out there (real world) actually sit there and say nope can't shoot that one; he's not 5 1/2? Come on. The deer hits 3 1/2 yrs old he's a trophy. What does everyone think? Also if you think this way, can you tell me if you're a land owner where you can grow your deer so I can add that to the equation?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Real Deer Hunting??????

130" buck is a trophy to me. I hunt mostly New England and a 130" is hard to get. Lots of those TV bucks are behind the fence.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just like the ol' saying that "no matter how tough you are, there's always someone tougher".......No matter how big your trophy deer are, there's always someone who has bigger.......especially if they are hunting in some pen on the outdoor channel[:'(]. Rarely would I equate one of those shows to anything that real hunters would do.....or would even want to do. I don't watch that chit anymore.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like watching the ones where they play tricks on each other. They stand a stuffed deer out in the field and let the guy burn ammo off at it!
I suppose if you hunt deer for a living, you could pick and choose a little more.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

I was watching the OUTDOOR CHANNEL this morning and I finally had enough. I thought I was a trophy hunter before I started watching these shows. I am happy with 130" bucks or higher. I can't stand this 160" deer but he's not old enough so don't shoot stuff. My question is how many hunters out there (real world) actually sit there and say nope can't shoot that one; he's not 5 1/2? Come on. The deer hits 3 1/2 yrs old he's a trophy. What does everyone think? Also if you think this way, can you tell me if you're a land owner where you can grow your deer so I can add that to the equation?
I've wondered that too but is it possible that they have an "agreement" with the land owners (or outfitter) to only shoot a 5+yr old buck? Besides, I'd pass up a 3½ year old buck if I knew there were several 5½ year olds out there.

However, where I hunt, I'm lucky to see the older, mature bucks. Personally, on the land I hunt, I would not pass up a 160" buck.....but if the land owner puts some restrictions on the deer then I would obey.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Just keep in mind that the vast majority of hunting shows are not the real world.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

A trophy is all up to your own standards. For me, if I won't put it on the wall then I'm not shooting it, in terms of a buck. If I need meat then I just shoot the does. I think if everybody would follow this method then people would see a lot more bigger bucks. After forking out $375, then people might become a little more picky on what they shoot. TV is just that TV. I wonder how many people would complain if they saw TV personalities shooting 100'-125' inch bucks? People would complain that they aren't letting them grow!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm rather proud of the fact that i have no idea what a 130" buck looks like. I've got a small piece of land and when i hunt it, i leave the big bucks alone so that my neighbors can hunt them.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I have never been a trophy hunter or head hunter...........I hunt for the Love of the woods and meat it provides for the freezer!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 AM

If there weren't people out there shooting 3 year olds a lot more people would have those 160's to shoot...

That's just the reality of the matter...

Quick Reply: Real Deer Hunting??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.