Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drought taking its toll on deer in IL

Old 09-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Spike

Default Drought taking its toll on deer in IL

In the past week I have heard ofat least30 dead deer being found in Jasper county. These deer have all been found in, around, or close to stagnant water holes.In one location a total of 17 deer were found with half of them being decent bucks. Just this evening my buddy showed me a picture of a 160 class buckthat was found. Has anyone else had experiences like this? I have heard that mites can harm deer when they continue to drink from a stagnant water source. Could this also be related to blue tongue disease in any way? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Drought taking its toll on deer in IL

It is blue tongue. We have had several around here die of it. We are in clark co IL
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is a whole discussion of this down in the Midwest thread. I've heard that it has hit in richland county too. I sure haven't seen as many deer as usual during my last few trips there.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Spike

Is there another disease called EDM (not CWD) or something like that? Someone brought this up today and I had never heard of it. I have heard reports of deer found dead in Crawford, Lawrence, Jasper, Richland, Clay, and Effingham. We got a well needed rain last night and today. Hopefully this will help.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Drought? What drought? Take a look at the corn!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Spike

Are you serious. We haven't seen much rain at all this summer. The corn was lucky to make a decent crop, could have been near records if we would have got rain later in the summer. Beans took a big hit though from no late rains. I've heard people around Salem, IL only averaging 5-15 bushel/acre on beans and only 30-50 bushel/acre on corn. I believe that satisfiesdrought conditions. I see you are from northeastern Illinois. Theygot much more rain than we did. In this are some deer only have ponds to go to as all creeks have dried up. This leads to deer contracting diseases.