Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

While setting up a treestand in NY....

Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default While setting up a treestand in NY....

Setting up tree stands where I hunt (125 acres) I went to a neighboring field I also hunt (110 acres w/20 acres of corn). While almost to the field. 3 deer, 2 large bucks, 1 doe come barreling in right at me and my brother. We were very excited to get a close encounter but looked at each other wondering what could have spooked them.

We get to the edge of the field and 10 seconds later, a huge black bear comes out of the woods and into the cornfield (75 yards maybe). We turned around, heart pounding, and walked back our trail and got the heck of there.

I'm very nervous about this bear. It was very large for this area.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to handle this. I just took my pistol course and want to be carrying one while setting up and bow hunting but I won't get my permit approved for 2 months. I will not be setting up anymore stands (have 6 more to do) without my shotgun with me (rifle still illegal in this county). I plan on keeping slugs in it just in case but will that stop/kill one if needed?

Where do I shoot one? Is the bear spray any good? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: While setting up a treestand in NY....

Black bear attacks are EXTREMELY rare. I would not panic over seeing it in the least. You could very well never see him again. By the way, you would probably have to do a lot of explaining to a conservation officer if you shot one out of season and somewhere far away from a house. I can see them understanding if you shot a bear that was trying to break thru your window, but shooting one out in the field will be a whole different ballgame in a game wardens eyes when they know that black bear attacks are almost non-existant.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:37 AM

if your gonna carry a gun during bow season, be careful b/c it is illegal to do that. i wouldn't be worried about the bear, he's probably more afraid of u then u are of him. what county was that in? if it's open to bear hunting, take him out
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

They always run away from us, as long as there not used to humans
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Spike

It is in an area around houses. I want to make it clear, I have no intention of poaching this bear. I just want to make sure I'm protected. Once Bear opens here, I'm going after it though....

It sounds like I shouldn't be so worried but this was the first one I've seen.

Has anyone used any bear scents?