Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

To say the least I was absolutely disgusted! As a sportsman, I want to preserve my right to hunt for myself, and future generations. But talk about giving the anti's fuel for there fire. I could just imagine what that would look like in court.

In my humble opinion I think that training any game animal to come to a certain spot at a certain time is very unsportsman like. Not to mention I believe it is a lazy way to stregthen your odds of taking a game animal. AndI have read on these forums before that the reason people "Bait/Train" deer, is because the deer population in their area is so high that they need to almost guarentee that they will harvest their deer for the year. Don by hunting over a bait site. Come on, if there is truly that many deer we all know you sure don't have to use bait to get an opportunity.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying it is bad to throw a little corn out by your tree stand a few days before your hunt. But having something in place to feed everyday. Man. I really hate to see where hunting is going.

With all the high tech bows, range finders, camo and magical scents out there you would think that someone would already believe that we have enough edge. I would rather hunt all season and never harvest a deer or whatever, then sit over a feeder and kill the next world record.

I apologize for venting, And I hope not to burn someone's A**. I am just sorry for anyone who feels they need to train an animal before they can harvest it.

I look forward to your responses on this topic. I truly am curious to know how the rest of our nation feels about this topic.
First, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one, and in my hunble opinion, this whole post is full of hypocritcal double talk.

You are either for or against baiting. It is either black or white. I am for baiting, and though I don't use feeders, I do plant food plots and throw out corn in front of my Camtrakkers.

Before the next rant, try getting off the fence.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Man it must really suck to hunt in such a war zone.? I guess I don't quite understand being that I am from Idaho. Well whatever soots your hunting area I guess. Nonetheless, No matter what part of the country you are in. Hunting trained animals is wrong.
Yea there is a girl on another Forum brought up the same thing as you.She is from Idaho too.Seems she can't understand I know of one area 300 acres Public Land,75 acres of that is Lake.But durring opening weekend of Firearms Deer Season there is no less than a hundred Hunters there.

I'm lucky I live next to 8,000 acres of Public Land,Firearms Season I would say there is 5-6 hundred people there.Problem is they stay in a very small area.Instead of spreading out.

big rockpile
Old 09-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

only found one real issue with the post the area about high tech bow range finders camo and magical scent

what do you use to hunt with from before you walk out or door to when you tag the deer

i havea proplem with hunting deer in a fence unless you are doing it primaraly for foodi do not have a proplem wit baiting if it donewith food that helps the deer like corn beans acorns so on and with the use of food plots

but i do have a proplem witht he places you go to hunt and theylet you pick the deer you wont like a pet store pick which time of day and thenleave it tied to a rope like the sheep in Jarassic park

I was sitting here this morning, watching a whitetail deer hunt. And I was just amazed that someone could actually think it is a sport to put up a feeder, and train deer to come to eat. Not only that but train deer to eat at certain times. I am not kidding you, this guy was sitting in a tripod, talking to his camera man. Then in the background you hear the feeder turn on. And he actually says "Man watch this", "It's like these deer are trained."
And then he shot a huge whitetail. And probably paid $10,000.

To say the least I was absolutely disgusted! As a sportsman, I want to preserve my right to hunt for myself, and future generations. But talk about giving the anti's fuel for there fire. I could just imagine what that would look like in court.

In my humble opinion I think that training any game animal to come to a certain spot at a certain time is very unsportsman like. Not to mention I believe it is a lazy way to stregthen your odds of taking a game animal. AndI have read on these forums before that the reason people "Bait/Train" deer, is because the deer population in their area is so high that they need to almost guarentee that they will harvest their deer for the year. Don by hunting over a bait site. Come on, if there is truly that many deer we all know you sure don't have to use bait to get an opportunity.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying it is bad to throw a little corn out by your tree stand a few days before your hunt. But having something in place to feed everyday. Man. I really hate to see where hunting is going.

With all the high tech bows, range finders, camo and magical scents out there you would think that someone would already believe that we have enough edge. I would rather hunt all season and never harvest a deer or whatever, then sit over a feeder and kill the next world record.

I apologize for venting, And I hope not to burn someone's A**. I am just sorry for anyone who feels they need to train an animal before they can harvest it.

I look forward to your responses on this topic. I truly am curious to know how the rest of our nation feels about this topic.
Thanks,
Muliefever
Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do consider myself very lucky being from out west. And Big, you seem to be lucky as well.

As for being black and white, I don't think so. Food plots are far more in depth then a "Feeder". They take some elbow grease and a little luck to really produce. Not to mention, you can't control where the deer feed. I think they are great.
However, hunting over a food container, where you can if opportunity presents itself,harvest a "easy controlled" animal is not okay. And in no way the same as a food plot.
AndI imagine the only people upset by the reality of hunting trained or controlled deer, would be someone who actually does it.
I guess I have to believe there are a majority of sportsmen outthere that would not harvest animals this way. Man I hope so atleast.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Mulie---I see your from Idaho--and stationed in Mi--first thanks for serving our country!!!!

But--Unless you have hunted in the south where the deer don't have so called feding,beddingareas, travel routes that a semi blind man could find you really don't have enough knowledge to talk bad about me!!

I bait deer and I kill deer over bait!!We don't have big wide open areas to glass and stalk deer--Unless you clear---50yds is about all you can see!! I think what you see on TV ain't the real world--The deer I hunt ain't tame--And by the trail cameras they don't know when the right time to feed they show up anytime!!!

But what I really want to no is who died and left you in charge to decide what is right and what is wrong!! If its legal whats the problem--If you don't like it don't do it!! But don't down me for what I do legal!!!
I don't bass fish with shiners or catch fish on beds--But I also don't talk bad about people that do!

I don't want to hurt anybodys feelings--- But this conflict between people who choose to bait and the ones who choose not too has got to come to a end!!

David
Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Ditto!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:53 PM

BowKnutt is right on!! In AR it is legal to feed. It is also effective. I like to watch a lot of deer and occasionally harvest one and in this area, this is the best way of doing it. I have lots of pictures of a variety of deer and other game at my feeders from last year and enjoy reviewing them.

As long as I can afford the rising price of corn I will be more than happy to feed the deer, squirrels, turkey, hogs, crows, and other woodland residents in order to have the opportunity to shoot my one or two deer and hogs a year. Also plant foodplots, but they are more work to develop and more importantly, the wild hogs tend to destroy them overnight whereas the feeder puts out a measured amount of feed daily through out the season. We have nice fat corn-fed deer and porkers on our lease not to mention all the other creatures that benefit from our generosity.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the only clearing on my place,its only about 75 yards across but I kill alot of Deer here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/oneshot/101_2595.jpg

And the road to it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/oneshot/101_2590.jpg

As you can see little on the thick side.

big rockpile
Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good points. Like stated before, I do not have I problem with throwing out a bit of corn. I guess the name of this post should have been Hunting Trained Deer! And I also agree that high fence hunting is normally a No No situation. It has it's place with kids and people who may have disablities or something.
As for who died and left me in charge. Also stated before this is My opinion not yours or anyone elses. Just because it is Legal, Does not make it ethical, nor rewarding. If you hunt stricktly for food, then amen, keep on feedin. But if you hunt over a timed feeder. And kill trained animals. Shame on you. Exspecially if you are only trying to kill Godzilla. The hunt is not about killing the biggest deer. It is about memories. My memories will never include the sound of a feeder going off I can promise you that. And for all those who harvest game animals this way I challenge you to ry to harvest animals in another way. It can be done. People do it every year. Perfect example... Tred Barta.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

NY thick cover kill deer every year and I'm very happy that baiting is illegal.

Quick Reply: Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.