Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I think if its legal then its ok with me
46.67%
I think that its unethical and takes the sport out of it
42.67%
I have no opinion one way or another.
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

This is a topic that has been discussed a few times on this forum but it is a very good topic because most hunters are divided as to weather it is sporting or ethical to hunt deer with dogs. I am from north Alabama where dog hunting is illegal in most counties however there are a few counties in west and south Alabama where it is legal .... Im not sure what other states allow dog hunting but what is YOUR opinion ?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

I dont have a problem with it and I think most people dont either, the problem is the hunters dont control their dogs and they run deer on other peoples property, while trying to hunt themselves.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's legal in Louisiana, but I personally don't like it. I think it is a little unfair. I don't think negative of a person if he or she uses dogs. I have had friends that ran dogs and they were still my friends.If they want to run dogs that's their choice. Dog hunting though is becoming a thing of the past in most of the south. It's a southern tradition that's slowly disappearing and that's fine with me. It definately wouldn't break my heart to see them outlaw it.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't care for it and feel it is just another shortcut....but where it is legal and a traditional way to hunt I say OK. They still shoot spawning pike with rifles here in this state. I never did it but many people have done it from generation to generation and F&W can't get it off the books.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man, I hate it when this comes up...This is like discussing alcohol there are good and bad things that can happen....

I don't mind 6-7 guys getting together with beagles, having one walk through a cutover and pushing deer out to standers, picking up the dogs and moving to another area, kinda like rabbit hunting, I've done it and done properly it is enjoyable and safe....Deer hunting like this has a very rich and enjoyable tradition, especially here in the South......

What I do not like is....15-20 pickups of guys with CB radios, a seat on top of the dog box so a guy with a 30-06 semi-auto can take pot shots as a deer runs across a field...They spot light deer down east to see where bucks are feeding at night (legal in eastern NC, before 11:00pm as long as no gun is in truck)...Then the next morning, they let 12-15 black and tans out and if the deer crosses a highway they are lined up, just off the road with their shotguns (and rifle close at hand)....And another 12-15 black and tans ready to throw on the buck if they see him....We own 3 family farms in this area, we don't live on the farm, these guys know it....Not only will they drive around gates, through fields, drop off a guy (or 3) with radios, they will also drop their dogs off beside the road, put them in our cutover and try to run deer off our property to property that they can access....

These guys have no concern for others property, because all they own is a pickup, deer hounds and a shotgun....They know that you don't want to confront 15 rednecks with a shotgun....The CBs are used to alert each other when the game warden is near, repeated calls to the game warden have done no good, because he is usually 3-4 counties away....We have 4 different clubs in the county, 3 are this way...When you talk to the president of the club, he says he will talk to his guys or blames it on one of the other clubs...Nothing is ever done, ....Its absolutely ridiculous to own 850 acres of prime land and never know if you can get in a quiet hunt or not because of these poachers.......

Trespassing laws in NC are too lax and these guys know this....By the time you know they are on your land, they are gone....Crops are run over, paths torn up by 4wd trucks and several deer hounds left until they get picked up.....Of course its standard practice to take tracking collars off non producing hounds during the last week of the season and leaving them in the woods to fend for themselves....Last year, I went home for a relaxing few days of turkey season....3 deer dogs ran a pack of does by my setup about 8:00 in the morning (in April!!!!)....

That's my take on dog hunting............[:@]
Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Here in MS it is a big debate.. Along with baiting (it is not legal here).. To me I don't see the difference.. One of them is push the deer out of thier bedding area and the other pulls them out.. So many people here in MS are against baiting and for dog hunting and I just don't understand thier logic.. They talk about fair chase, neither one of them is fair chase to me..
Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

This topic has been beat to death so many times that it is not funny, but I guess DD needs to stir up a little controversy. I voted the "if it is legal go for it", but it is illegal here so is a mute point anyway.

On a related topic, if I see "Fido" running deer on my place, he better be able to run faster than my bullet.

I live in the country but keep my dogs confined to my property, and I expect the same courtesy extended to me.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

i voted it's legel so it is ok with me because as before i have said i will not put one down for doing anything that is legel Now with that said i would not hunt deer bear elk or any ground animal with dogs nor would i hunt with one that was at the time we were hunting now i would us edogs for waterfowl but i am not sure that it is unathical to each his own i gusses
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

This topic has been beat to death so many times that it is not funny, but I guess DD needs to stir up a little controversy.
ME ????? Stir up controversy ..... come ON ...you know the good Doctor would NEVER do that ....

dd

Old 09-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Retriever...You reminded me of another fact...Most of these dogs have tracking collars...Many times when I happen to be hunting on our farms and the dogs come through there are 3-4 pickups parked on the road with the antenna out, tracking the dogs....Even though this frustrates me, and has for over 35 years, I have never shot a deer dog, in fact, it is a felony in NC to do so and with family still in the area and brother owning a business there, I am not going to go that far......Now, I have been considering setting coyote traps, just want to insure it works on canines only...

And you are correct, it has been beaten to death, and like the baiting issue, I don't usually respond because by the time I see, its up to 6 pages and nobody is reading, just argueing and determined that they are "right".....Funny thing is, it seems most that are dead set against either live in an area where it isn't legal and have no experience, makes me wonder why, if they have no experience with, why they answer.....

btw....I didn't answer the poll, guess I need to see..."It's fine by me, if legal as long as you have 2,000 continuous acres and keep their dogs within that area"....In fact, I'd like to see a $50.00 bounty on deer dogs caught on your property....I bet those good old boys would think twice then....

Now...Let's see who will be first to say..."Dogs can't read posted signs"...
Or "Dogs don't know where property boundaries are"....I say, if you can't keep them on your property, keep them in the dog box....

Quick Reply: Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.